Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Muti-boot option in winxp (how do i get rid of one

• Please log in to reply

crxstylin

crxstylin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have windows xp sp2 i reinstalled on top of my folder c:\windows

Since then i just have an anoyance of a muti boot option where either option boots my OS, i have one partition and one load of windows. I just want to get rid of one of them so my computer doesnt prompt me. Thank in advance.

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
open my computer and click opn drive C. Then click on Tools/Folder options/View. Then click on Show hidden and system files. Then clear the check box "Hide protected operating sytem files", click apply and ok. Then you will see a file called boot.ini. Right click and select properties, and clear the check box "Read only". Now open this file with notepad. Delete the offending line completely and move the next line up. Click file and save, then close the file.

When you reboot there will be no more problems.

crxstylin

crxstylin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanx