Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony VAIO laptop startup error

• Please log in to reply

MonsieurL

MonsieurL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About a month ago, my laptop (PCG-GRX520) started intermittently not turning on.
Now it does it so frequently that I am forced to keep it on just to keep it working.
I tried reloading windows using the Recovery CD's, and changing the boot order, and nothing.

This is what happens, step by step:

1. Power light comes on.
2. CD-Rom drive light comes on for 4 secs.
3. Hard drive light comes on for less than a second.
4. The screen is black.... no backlight, no change at all.

It does not matter is it is powered by AC or battery... still the same problem.

Now my computer comes on I would say 1 out of 10 tries. Letting it cool off does not seem to matter.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
How old is the laptop?? Is the laptop still under warranty?? If so then I would talk to the Sony Tech Support, b/c is sounds like there might be something wrong with the laptop motherboard. If not under warranty reply back leting me know. Hope that this helps.

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Or, the power supply?

MonsieurL

MonsieurL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did further search, and it turns out it is a massive DEFECT, affecting most VAIO laptops. The RAM does not seat properly due to a shoddy soldering of pins to the motherboard. I found someone who can fix the easy soldering job for less than $200... Class action lawsuits are on the horizon, but now OTHERS who have the same problem won't suffer the same heartache!

Thanks guys.

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Take the RAM chip out of slot #2. Just operate with a RAM chip slot #1 ONLY.

Some folks have had temporary luck by putting a buildup of black tape between the #2 chip and the laptop RAM chip cover, thus pressuring it into the motherboard.

When someone hears of the class action, let me know. I have three GRX-560's and two of them will not boot or even try to start up with a chip in slot #2. Also, I've spent a few bucks on 3 512mb RAM chips for beefing up slot #1.

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Oh, can you share the name or business who reapirs this problem? Liuke I said, I have two currently in need of this fix.