Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to do Wireless Networking?

• Please log in to reply

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi,

I'm a complete noob at many computer things, but since im only 16 i still have plenty of time to learn. After learning abou tlots of hardware related stuff, because i got a new computer, i now need to learn about wirless networking. I need to connect two computers, two laptops, wirelessly, my old one and my new one. I want to move some old stuff from my old computer to my new computer. Only problem is, i have no idea how to approach this. Both computer have XP, one has Home, and my new one has Pro. Ones a vaio 480 (technically a brand new computer, it's my dads new one, and i moved my software via a 1gb memory stick onto his new computer), the other a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen-2. Can anybody help me? I appreciate your help, thank you,

Franz

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.chicagote...et/wireless.htm <---try here

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well first of all,

you need wireless cards in all the computer and two laptops. you dont need one in one of the computers(desktop). then go out and buy a router (netgear) connect the router to the desktop. if you dont have wirless cards in the computers then you are going to have to buy them! for the laptop you should have a thing on the side to plug in a wirless card. If you dont have a wirless card in the desktop then you are going to have to install it by opening the pc up(caution!!! you need proffesional help) after you have done all that install the wirless software and your good to go!

the computer should recognize the router

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
yeah yeah, both laptops have a wireless card, and we have a router with which they can both acess the internet. So technically they are in the same net, but can i exchange files inbetween them? thx

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
:tazz: Hello Master_Axe and welcome to G2G, :)

Yes you can share files between the computers in a set up procedure called "File Share". Sounds pretty easy Huh?

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correctly setting up your File Share Home Network.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?

6) What firewalls do you have running?

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

8) Do you have the ability to write to a blank CD (IE.. a CD burner in your machine and a few blank cd's [not a prerequisite just makes the setup a little easier])

9) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File Share Ability for your network?

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-9 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME BETTER PROVIDE
YOU WITH A WALKTHROUGH ON HOW TO SETUP YOUR FILE SHARE NETWORK .
:)

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 18 September 2005 - 04:30 PM.

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
1.) XP home sp2, XP pro sp2

2.) Only know that they are Intel

3.) 3Com

4.) DHCP

5.) Norton Anti Virus

6.) Windows XP FW

7.) Mozilla Firefox has an implemented Pop-up blocker

8.) Both computers do

9.) I Just tried to connect them via a Networking cable, the connection was not working right though. It said only limited or no connectivity.

If you need more info, i'll be home in a couple of hours, can tell you more then. THx

Franz

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Again Master_Axe,

Sorry I haven't replied back until now, I only post on Wednesday's and Saturdays. I have read the answers to your questions and I will be assisting you in getting your problem corrected. I would like to start first; with the most important part of your Post. In it you stated :

" I need to connect two computers, two laptops, wirelessly, my old one and my new one. I want to move some old stuff from my old computer to my new computer."

In the questions you answered for me; you stated in your trouble shooting steps that you had already tried the following:

"I Just tried to connect them via a Networking cable, the connection was not working right though. It said only limited or no connectivity."

To Begin:

If you already have internet access through the wireless, then you do not need the Networking Cable to share files. We will setup your file share through the wireless.

Follow my step-by-step File share Setup as listed below:

XP PRO File Share Setup Steps 1-25

1. Double click My Computer icon
2. Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
3. Under "Network Tasks" select the "Set up a home or small office network" link
4. When the Network setup wizard appears click "Next"
5. When the second page appears click "Next"
6. When the third Page appears select the "Other" bubble and click "Next"
7. When the fourth page appears select the bubble "This computer connects directly or through a network Hub. Other computer on my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub."
8. When the fifth page appears under "Computer description" type in XP PRO, Computer name XP PRO and click "next"
9. When the sixth Page appears under "workgroupe name" type in: namegroup - insert your last name in the namegroup and click "next"
10. When the seventh page appears select the "Turn on File and Print Sharing" Bubble and click "next".
11. When the warning comes up asking if your sure you want to turn on file and print sharing just select "yes".

*NOTE* If you do not want to create a self install disk for additional PC's skip the following steps and proceed to Step 11a through 11c at the end of this page.

12. When the seveth page appears click "Next".
13. When the eigth page appears under "What do you want to Do?" Select the "Create a Network Setup Disk" bubble and click "next".
14. When the ninth page appears select the "Format Disk" Button
15. When the format 3 1/2 Floppy (A:) screen appears just click "start"

*NOTE* If you get a warning that says formatting will erase all data - this means it will erase all data on the floppy disc - not on your hard drive

16. When it is done select "ok" then hit the "x" to close out the format screen... this takes you back to page nine and select "next".
17. Now you will a screen that shows files being copied... just wait till its done and you will be automatically sent to screen 10. Just click on "next".
18. When the eleventh page appears just click "finish".
19. Now restart your machine

Additional Pc's to be added to the File Share Network

20. Now go to the next computer and complete the Following Additional Pc Setup
21. Insert the disk in the A drive
22. Double click the "my computer" icon
23. Select open network setup disk
24. double click "netsetup"
25. If the PC is unable to read the disk then just repeat steps 1-11 and include the steps 11a through 11c (after steps 1-11 have been completed):

No Disk Procedures

11a. When the next page appears select the bubble for "Just finish the wizard" and click on "Next"
11b. When the next screen appears just select "Finish"
11c. Now reboot your PC

-------------AFTER ALL THESE STEPS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED-------------

...Go back to the first computer and double click on the "my computer" icon
...Under "Other Places" on the left Pane select the "My Network Places" link
...Under "Network Tasks" on the left pane select the "View workgroup computers"
...After clicking on this you will get a list of all the computers in your network. If the
additional computers you added are not showing up then reply back and we will find out what is blocking your file share (usually a third party vendor firewall, Antivirus program, or security software)