Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow XP PC

• Please log in to reply

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I use google a LOT! :tazz:

wont let me upload the screenshot as it says it is too big although it is only 1.37MB - tried to compress it but wont let me upload a .rar file! :) - can I email it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....you can keep google toolbar... :tazz:

Try opening the screenshot image in Paint and save it again, only save is as "File Type" JPEG. Then try to attach it. Paint likes to save as BMP files which are huge.

wannabe1

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
:tazz:

here you go!

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That looks really good. (Wish MY startup list looked like that... :tazz: )

Do you have your original XP installation CD handy?

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
sure do!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Excellent!

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

The last step in the chkdsk is going to perform a reliability test on all the the sectors of your hard drive...it will seem to go on forever...let it complete. Once your machine restarts, empty your recycle bin and reboot.

let me know how your machine is running after this procedure.

wannabe1

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
cheers - will do that now!

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
much the same Im afraid ...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Morning msiz...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's.

Once the repair has completed, please do a Windows Update.

wannabe1

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
hi

wouldnt let me boot from the windows cd so tried to configure through BIOS but cannot access BIOS either!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you have trouble accessing the bios, or entering safe mode by tapping a FUNCTION key, you may have a modern keyboard with a FUNCTION LOCK key.

By default, when your PC turns on, it turns FUNCTION LOCK off. In fact, if you turn your PC on, and tap the FUNCTION LOCK key on, your PC may turn this off again when it finishes detecting your keyboard.

Look for a F-LOCK or similar key on your keyboard, reboot your machine, and wait until the memory is counting up and then quickly hit the key, then hit the desired key (F1, F2, F8)

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
no Function lock key! I do have a key that says Fn - could that be it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you have a make and model on this thing?

The FN key is usually found on laptops and activates special functions for the laptop, such as screen switch, lcd brightness, sound volume...

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
bizzare ....

my keyboard has no make or model number on it. my tower is an amd atholn xp

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts