Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are PCI-E and AGP compatible

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, is it possible to use an AGP and a PCI-E in one port? I read something about them being compatible, but I think it may have been bullshido.

Im getting a 7800GT soon, i was just wondering if i need to upgrade my whole system (i have a AthlonXP 3200 at the moment, with 1 gig ddr 400).

Thanks
Dave

Just to point out, i simply cant afford an athlon 64, i could get a new mobo with a sempron maybe, but an athlon 64 is just out of my price range at the moment. And im dont want to be buying a sempron if its going to be a stepdown from my athlon32. i know that the athlon can run on some of the boards a sempron can

Edited by comanighttrain, 12 September 2005 - 10:16 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge pcie and agp use different slots...i think you can put a pcie card in a pci slot but it limit's the capability of the card...but..to my knowledge the only card that will go into an agp slot is an agp card

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
For a 7800gt it is pci express only. Yes you may be able to put it in a regular agp slot but you will have problems and might ruin your card/motherboard slot. Yes it might work but i wouldnt try. Its not meant for pci express in a agp port.

SO, no dont do it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Staright from COTS..

PCI Express cards will not fit into a standard PCI slot, or an AGP slot. PCI Express is not backward compatible with PCI or AGP, the connectors and signal levels are different. The Mother Board has to have a PCI Express card slot. Video cards in PCI-E format will normally be in the x16 format [which is replacing the AGP card slot]. So the Motherboard must have one x16 [Lane] PCI Express card slot.

Murray

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Iv herd people putting pci express video card in a agp slot because they didnt know.. Some actually got some video to work even though its not suppost to lol! It froze there pc and probably ruined the card.

"Only use it as it is meant to be used"

Please dont try this, it will be dumb to do so.

Edited by jrm20, 12 September 2005 - 11:32 AM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
kwl...[bleep]....would a sempron pack enough wallop to merit replacing my Athlon3200

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
What will you be doing mainly on your pc. Name all

Edited by jrm20, 12 September 2005 - 11:46 AM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Playing games....Battlefield 2...

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If your going to be playing that game and staying with the socket A you need to stick with the amd athlon xp. The sempron only has 128 KB L2 cache. 128 KB L2 cache sucks. Some have 256KB cache. I would get a amd athlon xp barton with 512 Kb Cache in your situation since you have limited funds. If you buy a new pc get an amd 64. The sempron would be the best bang for the buck but not for games like bf2..

Amd athlon xp chips are cheap now. The sempron is like the budget version of the chip like the celeron is to intel.

:tazz:

Amd athlon xp 3000+ is only $115 and is still popular and bought by people.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103394

id recommend 3000+ or the 3200+. Hard to find the 3200+ sometimes

make shure your motherboard will support the cpu speed when you buy one.

Edited by jrm20, 12 September 2005 - 12:10 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
:tazz: i have an athlon 3200+ already.

Is there anyway i could get it to work with a 7800GT

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
No, a 7800gt wont work on a socket a motherboard. The socket A motherboards do not have pci express. Some of the newer semprons are 64 bit and they run on the new socket 754 boards.

If you want the 7800 series you will have to upgrade the motherboard and cpu.

The most you can handle is a 6800 gt, maybe 6800 ultra. The 6800's come in agp and pci express versions.

If you are a gamer i would get a new system and then get what ever kind of video card your heart desires.

Edited by jrm20, 12 September 2005 - 12:39 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
yeah, cept the big problem is, my current card is a 6600GT (its not top, but its still pretty good) and its AGP, changing the entire system would mean a full spectrum upgrade....costing nearly £500... watch the language - Murray