Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Connection Nightmare

• Please log in to reply

Charles Baah

Charles Baah

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Starting with my home PC setup:
OS - Windows XP Pro, SP2 (XP Firewall Off)
NIC Controller :Integrated Intel 10/100 Ethernet
Cable Modem : Motorola Surfboard SB4200, (no driver update at Motorola site)
Router: 4 port Wireless Linksys BEFWS11 V2 (latest Firmware from Linksys updated)
AntiVirus Software: Norton AntiVirus and Firewall
Other Software: Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition, SpyBot Search & Destroy, HiJackThis, WinsockXPFix,
Windows XP AntiSpyware Beta Version

I have been losing Internet connection after a few minutes (5mins at most) over the last month or so. I can send and receive Email without any problem, Before it fails, the Internet connection sits and churns for a long time before "The page cannot be displayed" error is displayed. The only way I can reconnect is to reboot the computer. Strangely, I do not lose the connection when I boot into "Safe Mode with Networking". I can surf all day.
The problem happens only on my desktop machine and not on my laptop. The two machines are connected to the Internet through the same Cable Modem and Router. I can also surf all day on the laptop without having to reboot even once. So that should rule out the Router and/or the Cable Modem as the source of the problem. When both computers are connected, the Router port for the laptop shows a lot of activity but the port for the desktop appears rather sluggish and it eventually dies. Changing ports and switching cables have not helped so far. Removing the laptop from the setup does not help. I have gone through at least 4 long troubleshooting sessions with my ISP Tech Support.

In addition, the following attempts at solving the problem have not been unsuccessful
Reset Router and Cable (per ISP Tech Support)
Repair LAN connection
Repair Winsock with WinsockXPFix
Bypass router and connect directly from Cable Modem to computer
Connect computer directly to Internet (physically moved computer to a different location)
UnInstall XP Service Pack 2
UnInstall SpyBot, Ad-Aware
Disable Norton AntiVirus
ipconfig /release/renew does not work

I have visited, read and tried a lot of the tricks and suggestions from a lot of very helpful technical forums hoping to find something that will work. So far, nothing has worked. I think the problem is in my desktop computer but I have not been able to isolate it. Is it a faulty Network card? If so is there a way to test the card to verify whether it is good or bad before I go out and buy a replacement? Could it be a malware on my computer? I have been diligent about inspecting and cleaning up malware and viruses, if any by using Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, and most recently Microsoft's AntiSpyWare software. If it is a malware, is there a product out there that is powerful enough to find it after the products I have used so far have failed?

There has to be an answer to this problem which may not necessarily require the painful process of backing up my critical files, reformatting my hard disk and reinstalling my drivers and restoring my files.

Any help to resolve this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Charles Baah, 12 September 2005 - 12:33 PM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go.

You seem to have covered the more complicated troubleshooting methods. Let's try something simpler and see if it works.

Rather than using Internet Explorer to connect to the internet, try using Mozilla Firefox. You can download it from here: http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/

If Firefox gives you the same troubles, it's some other problem, and I'd have to get more info. If Firefox doesn't give you problems, Internet Explorer could be damaged or you could have malware.

Hope I helped,
computerwiz12890

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you been to the Setup page of your router? On most routers it's http://192.168.1.1 and you can click the link to access it. Off the top it sounds to me like you have a setting that needs to be changed. Many ISPs are running out of internet addresses so you are automatically disconected if your line is idle too long and someone else is given your address. You need to set the router to keep the connection open, that seems the most likely thing.

Edited by Tyger, 12 September 2005 - 12:11 PM.

Charles Baah

Charles Baah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks computerwiz12890. I just downloaded Firefox onto a CD. I will install it later today and test. Will keep you posted.

Charles Baah

Charles Baah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Tyger,

I think my Router Config is ok since the same settings are being used flawlessly by another computer that is attached to it. I will give your suggestion a try though.

Thanks

Charles Baah

Charles Baah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hi computerwiz12890,

The results were not good.
After about 15 minutes (which seemed like an eternity), the Firefox connection also died. On a whim I am posting my ipconfig /all results after I was disconnected and the results from pinging the site that failed to connect . One thing I have noticed throughout my debugging trials is that, the IP Address remains the same after ipconfig /release /renew, LAN Connection Repair, and WinsockXPFix. Is that significant?

Windows IP Config
Host Name........................: <My Computer Name>
Primary DNS Suffix............
Node Type........................ Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled............ No
WINS Proxy Enabled......... No
DNS Suffix Search List...... xxxx.adelphia.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
Connection Specific DNS Suffix.............. xxxx.adelphia.net
Description .......................................... Intel<R> PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address................................... 00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
Dhcp Enabled..................................... Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled................... Yes
IP Address......................................... 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask...................................... 255.255.255.0
Defaul Gateway................................. 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server..................................... 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers..................................... 68.168.96.162
Lease Obtained................................. <today>
Lease Expires................................... <today+2>

C:\ping 207.46.20.30

Pinging 207.46.20.30 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.20.30
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss

I_love_gaming

I_love_gaming

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the exact same problem, I can play my WC3 for hours on end with no problems, but web browsing comes and goes. Sometimes I can get the connection to run for a while again by repeatedly resending request (eg, hitting refresh over and over).

My setup shares virtually nothing in common with yours, about the only thing would be that I just bought a new version of windows with SP2, other than that I'm DSL, with all different hardware.

My flatmates PC runs fine all the time from the same router.

Its definately not firefox, which I run, and because I just reformatted my drive, its not any 3rd party software. About the only thing I could think of was my ethernet card, so I've updated the driver, but that made no difference.

Anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated :tazz:

Edited by I_love_gaming, 13 September 2005 - 07:47 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Charles Baah, start a topic in the Malware forum, since I think it is malware related. Be sure to read the "Malware Removal Forum Rules" before you post.

Safe mode only allows essential programs to start, and since your internet works fine in safe mode, but not in normal mode, I suspect there is some malware that is starting with your computer which is disconnecting you. Malware cleaning is delicate and user-specific, so only malware experts can help you. Please be patient with them, since there are many other people with malware problems.

Hope things work out with you :tazz: ,
computerwiz12890

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 September 2005 - 12:01 PM.