Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

256 Color Problem

• Please log in to reply

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
:tazz:

I am a new member of the forums and I have a problem. My dad gave me an old Compaq Armada 1560DMT w/ a Pentium 1 Processor. I installed Windows 98SE last night, but my monitor only has 2 and 16 colors. I don't know anything about laptops. Can anyone help?

When I log on again later, I will post the system specs.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you know how to get to device manager?(sorry i always forget where it is in 98) if so please go there and look for any yellow ?...i would be willing to bet that the video drivers didn't install....if they haven't then you need to go to the manufacturer's website and download them

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
If you download Belarc from here: http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

It will give you a diagnostic of your system and you may be able to locate the manufacturer of your video card from the scan.

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks. I'll check it when I get home. Also, Direct X 9.0c. I installed it, but the games I have keep failing to initialize it!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi all!

Just a note...Device Manager in 98 and 98SE...Right click My Computer and choose Properties then the Device Manager tab....... :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ghaleonh41...

Please download Everest Home Edition, install it on your machine, and run it. Copy and post the log to this thread and I'll see what I can do about helping you sort this out.

wannabe1

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It says normal monitor.

Here are the specs:

System Model: Compaq 1590DM
Processor: 167MHZ Pentium w/ MMX
Circuit Board: Compaq 586P 8/11/97
Drives: 2.16 GB Usable H. Drive Capacity, 1.78 GB Free Space
Memory Modules: 48MB Installed
Display: Standard PCI Graphics Adapter Default Monitor

What do I do next?

Edited by Ghaleonh41, 18 September 2005 - 11:34 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ghaleonh41...

I'll search for your drivers and post back with what I find. It may take a while, it appears that the Compaq site is down.....and this is an old machine.

wannabe1

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Your scan of the system shows your video card as "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter " because it cannot recognise it due to the lack of a driver.

Unless your particular manufacturer installed standard graphics cards you may have to take the cover off and see if you can locate a reference number on the card.

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It seems that this computer is missing a lot of drivers...I can't even connect to the Internet with it! :)

Once again, I thank everyone for their help. :tazz:

Edited by Ghaleonh41, 13 September 2005 - 07:57 PM.

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
One more thing: Would it be possible to enhance it to a Pentium 3 or 4?

Or, maybe I should get a new one?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ghaleonh41...

Or, maybe I should get a new one?

This is, by far, the best option. You machine is very old and many of the features on it are no longer supported by Microsoft (or anyone else for that matter.)

With your current hardware configuration, you would not be able to upgrade the processor without a new Motherboard, video card...etc. You will be far better off with a new (or newer at least) machine.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 September 2005 - 11:00 AM.

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll consider investing in a new laptop. Any suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ghaleonh41...

I'm not really into laptops, but just by being in these forum for a while, I'm seeing the most problems with Dells and the least with Sonys...if that's any help. That may only show that there are way more Dells sold than Sonys so it's not really much of an indicator.

Why not start a new topic in the Off Topic Forum or the Hardware Forum and see what the general consensus is. Lots of experienced people browse those Forums.

Good luck with your search.

wannabe1

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the advice, Wannabe1.