Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive working

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, the new HD is in my Compaq 5150. I believe I have reloaded all the software that came with the computer. I have looked for driver updates and installed those. What is next? What else should I check on?
Is it time to defrag or should I wait till all programs are installed? - - which runs into my next question, that maybe should be posted in another forum?

I have a DSL Lite connection. My son uses his laptop from a wireless router.
What should I use to protect wireless contection?
What protection software should I install on my desktop - firewall, virus, adblocker, spam, and anything else I'm not thinking about?

bamakodaker

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
If you havn't already got one installed. you need a good Anti Virus. You can get an excellent free one from here: http://www.majorgeek...ownload886.html

You should have Adaware and Spybot ( at least ) to enable you to scan for malware. Get these from here:

Adaware: http://www.majorgeek...ownload506.html

Spybot: http://www.download....4-10122137.html

Your Router may well have an inbuilt firewall.

You should ensure however, that you configure it using theWEP Code so that only computers on your network can detect and use your wireless connection.
( see manual )

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bamakodaker...

In addition to the good advice that 1069 has already provided, I would add...Install all of your software then, from system tools, run Disk Cleanup and then Disk Defragmenter.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 08:21 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
What's this? You're just a Senior Member after all my HARD work??? grrrr

Hey, I guess my last software to consider (even though I've installed SpyWare Blaster, Ad-Aware, SpyBot, cwshredder and ready to use Trend Micro online scan) was the Norton's SystemWorks 2005. I had bought it before my problems and I've seen several say Norton's is not good. Should I go ahead and install it?

Now here is the "hard" question - when my HD died I "learned" about how Norton's GoBack worked, some kind of overlay of the BIOS (?). Is that overlay something that should be avoided?? I really like the feature of being able to go back when something got downloaded, caused problems and I didn't know what got downloaded (children). Just go back to an earlier time and the problem was gone. What are the Geeks thoughts on this feature?

Any other thoughts?

Holding up to clean, defrag and get going!
Except for learning how to clean up and speed up my computer. Lower resource usage, get rid of some of these blasted desktop and tray icons - - - hey, does it ever end?? :tazz:
bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bamakodaker...Yep "just a senior member..."

Norton is adequate, but there are better choices available. Norton is notoriously difficult to uninstall or repair should some type of corruption occur. Even reinstalling it can be a challenge. Go Back is a nice feature, but you already have a Restore feature in Windows (if you know how to use it) that does the same thing without the "overlay". I won't tell you what to do, but will tell you what I would do...how's that? I'd drop the Norton and install Avast or AVG...both are good AV programs.

You'll want a good firewall, too. Sygate has a good free one as does Zone Alarm. I prefer Sygate.

And no...it never does end...especially if you've got kids, which I do so I definitely can relate.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 09:32 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I appreciate the software suggestions!

What's this? Mention it but NOT explain? After my crash I'm VERY interested in how to use Windows Restore! I'll print out several copies so that I hopefully can find them if I need them later!

Would you give me directions on how to use Restore on Win98?

bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sure thing...there are a couple ways to do it depending on how severe your "crash" is.

If you can boot into Windows...Click Start then Run and type scanreg /restore (Note the space before the /) and click "Ok"...you will be presented with 5 "snapshots" of your system you can restore to...use the arrow keys to select one and press "Enter"

If you can not start Windows...Use your startup disk (You should have been prompted to create one when you installed Win98) and reboot...when you get the options screen, press F5 for the command prompt. You will get an A:\ prompt. at the "A" prompt, type C: and press "Enter". At the "C:\" prompt, type windows\scanreg /restore(Note the space before the /) and press "Enter" then follow the same procedure outlined above with the snapshots.

Note..on some later versions of Win98 and in ME you may have to add "command" to the sting making the full command: C:\windows\command\scanreg /restore

All this from a lowly senior member.........

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 September 2005 - 07:49 AM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Great help from a WONDERFUL Senior Member!
I've printed the info up and stored it with WIN98 CD and Startup floppies - hoping it will be a LOOOONG time before or IF I need it again!

Much thanks,
bamakodaker

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
BUNCH O QUESTIONS
(1)-While looking around at Everest results I see things I wonder and wonder if they should be taken care of - should they? CPU - no CU L2 cache found
CPUID - SSE not supported
BIOS - warning over 2 years old
DirectX Video - primary display driver, Hardware Transform and Lighting not supported.
(2) -There might be more. For example, I've written down other items (I'm not sure they're a problem now.) missing system.ini and CTO missing. Should I look for possible problems or just go until I run into them?
(3)-After all my grand efforts loading software, drivers - et al - how do I find and delete any double or not needed files?

bamakodaker

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Your Router may well have an inbuilt firewall.

Routers typically do something a bit different than a firewall, which is that they generally use NAT (Network Address Translation) or NAPT (Network Address Port Translation). Although this does keep out quite a lot of unwanted traffic due to those on the outside of the router being unable to tell which private IP address on the inside of the router they're trying to go after, and the router not forwarding specific connection oriented traffic without setting up a direct WAN IP to LAN IP link, it's not exactly a firewall.

It offers some protection, but if you're really security conscious, a firewall in addition to the router is an idea.

You should ensure however, that you configure it using theWEP Code so that only computers on your network can detect and use your wireless connection.

Alternately, it can be configured to use WPA PSK encryption, which offers higher security strength at present than WEP. All new wireless devices are supposed to be (by FCC rules) capable of WPA and WEP.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
MUCH thanks for the router info!

Now - anyone willing to answer above list "bunch o questions"?

bamakodaker

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Regarding files that are not needed, Easy Cleaner will clean up your system. http://tucows.menane...iew/355248.html

Suggest that you use Unnecessary and Registry ONLY. Do not use it to clean out Duplicate files as some of these are, in fact, necessry.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Finally figured out how to download this newest version - it was easier than downloading and trying to update to the newest version - ran as suggested THEN defraged!!

Got me where I needed to be!

Thanks much :tazz:

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
(1) Post 9 - still awaiting answers to bunch o questions

Continuing in what's next now that the HD is installed, software installed, even finished with EasyClean.
(2) Wondering about System Resources? How to keep it low usage.
(3) How to make sure not much is filling Startup?

(4) Having trouble with Ad-Aware and Spyware. If I have to reinstall both, should I defrag after that?

bamakodaker