Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ps2 to usb

• Please log in to reply

tomfitzsr

tomfitzsr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an Averatec laptop computer and when not traveling I use a microsoft wireless mouse connected through one of the usb ports. I have a surplus Microsoft Internet keyboard that has a ps2 connector on it. I bought a ps2 to usb converter through cyberguys and installed the Microsoft Intellimouse software for the computer. The computer doesn't recognize the device and it shows up as an unknown usb device in device manager. I checked the bios and usb legacy support is checked. How do I get this keyboard to work? Thanks

Edited by tomfitzsr, 12 September 2005 - 01:37 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
In Device Manager, right click on the unknown device and select update driver, then let it look for the driver automatically. If it doesn't find it, then use the option to 'Install from a specific location' Then go to the folder where the intellimouse software was installed and select teh inf file listed there.

Also, you can try to install the software again with the mouse plugged in. You will still be able to use the built in pad for use as a mouse and run the setup program.

tomfitzsr

tomfitzsr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the tips. I'd already done all that and got a message that the inf file doesn't have any information about my device. Fo some reason the adaptor from PS2 to USB is showing as an "unknown device".

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Can you try the Keyboard & adapter on another PC?

If it is an older Internet Keyboard - it may not be USB Compatible?

See if it works on another PC using PS2 Interface & then as USB Interface - Keep in mind that you should use - BOTH MOUSE & KEYBOARD - ON SAME INTERFACE - BOTH PS2 or BOTH USB - DO NOT MIX -

Also remember to set [ENABLE] -- BIOS USB Settings -- When using USB

Jack123