Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP and DOS programs problem

• Please log in to reply

fetching

fetching

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi there,

I am having problems with my newly reformatted work computer, XP and the DOS program we use.

Prior to installing XP a few days ago, we have been using win 98 SE and it worked pretty much fine with the DOS program we run.

Now, with XP, when I have the DOS program on (it's called Pentagon 2000, it's for the aerospace industry) everything else slows to a crawl. i pulled up the Task Manager and found something called ntvdm.exe using 99% of the CPU.

I need to be able to run both Pentagon and explorer at the same time.

Anything I can do about this?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have one, right click the desktop icon for the programme then click properties then compatibility to run it in compatibility mode for 98SE

fetching

fetching

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
okay i just set that, i'll try it out and get back to you. thanks!

fetching

fetching

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i set it to win 98 (it was previously set to 95) and rebooted and it's still not working right.

everything still crawling when the DOS prog is running.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the installation CD for the programme or does it have a lot of stored data with it

Possibly, XP might take to it if it is installed on it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the information for the process

ntvdm.exe
Process Name: Windows 16-bit Virtual Machine

Description: ntvdm.exe is process that belongs to the Windows 16-bit Virtual Machine. It provides an environment for a 16-bit process to execute on a 32-bit platform. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

fetching

fetching

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Have you got the installation CD for the programme or does it have a lot of stored data with it

Possibly, XP might take to it if it is installed on it

View Post

i'll have to take a look and see if we have a CD for it. I might also call the company's tech support, but to be honest, they are next to useless.

:tazz:

fetching

fetching

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i spoke to the tech support guy who works for the software company and he told me that it's hard to run the DOS version with XP or 2000. he suggested trying a program called TAMEDOS. has anyone tried it?

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

Not sure if this will work you but I use a program called dosbox, it's a dos emulator but I've only used it to play old dos games, anyway here is the link if you're interested http://dosbox.source...php?show_news=1 hope this helps.

By the way check out the FAQs it says there [sic]In theory dosbox can be used for almost any other dos application besides games

Edited by fungit, 12 September 2005 - 03:49 PM.

fetching

fetching

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
wow, tamedos really helps. color me impressed! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the solution