Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error message in Microsoft Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

Jumana

Jumana

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
When I start Microsoft Outlook, I get an error message " The add-in c:\programfiles\mcafee.com\vso\outscan.dll" could not be installed or loaded. This probelm may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menue"..

According to this error message, I tried the Detect and Repair , but it prompted me to enter the CD that i installed the office from (which i don't have here!), so I cancelled.

Mcafee.com folder doesn't have this file outscan.dll..and I don't know why i have Mcafee.com in the first place as i uninstalled it a long time ago..

What should I do??

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, type prefetch

You get one folder, open it, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter then start up, look for McAfee and remove all ticks, click apply then reboot

Get the trial of tune up here

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which need a reboot

After the reboot, try Outlook

Jumana

Jumana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Kieth,
Thanks for your help.
I did everything according to your post..However, there was no Mcafee in the startup!..
and I still had the same message after rebooting.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for outscan

The process library do not list it and dll-files do not have it

I haven't got it on the Office XP Pro PC

Jumana

Jumana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The search result shows that outscan is not there.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for McAfee and send them to the recycle bin, reboot the PC

Leave them in the recycle bin for a day or so

You should set a restore point first

Jumana

Jumana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I couldn't send the McAfee to the recycle bin, when I try to do so, I get a message saying that access is denied to the files in this folder which are (mcvsshl.dll and shlres.dll). I changed the folders properties by unticking (read-only) but still didn't work! :tazz:

Edited by Jumana, 13 September 2005 - 06:45 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The PC thinks McAfee has started and so gives access denied.

If McAfee is definitely not wanted then try here for MoveOnBoot and remove it with this

http://www.snapfiles...et/emcomob.html

Jumana

Jumana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Kieth,
MoveOnBoot removed McAfee, but I still get the message when I run Outlook, I think Outlook expects that add-in from McAfee to be installed. How can Outlook understand that we are using Norton and not McAfee?? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would run this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;238782

Change the save to location so you have your e-mails stored outside of Outlook, which is the default for this

Then either run detect and repair or uninstall / reinstall Outlook after you have backed up the data in it