Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Error Messages / Reinstall ME?

• Please log in to reply

goldenboy623

goldenboy623

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Sony VAIO Computer PCV-RX360DS. It has been a problem for some time. When I ran Norton Disk Doctor or Norton Windoctor, it take hours to run these test and almost always results in error messages without completing.

Yesterday, I starting the computer and it fail to load Windows ME. On the screen was "msgsrv3L has caused an error in krnl386.exe." When I pressed "close" annother message appeared on the screen "nprotect has caused an error in krnl386.exe. nprotect will now close." Then the next error message appeared "aupdate caused a general protection fault in module krnl386.exe @0003:00003fa7." I could not remove this error from the screen. Control alt delte didn't work. I had to restart the computer by turning off the surge protector. When I restarted the computer, the same problem resulted. I am unable to use the computer at this time.

How can I restore the computer to two days ago? Also, can I reinstall Windows ME without effecting the data or programs loaded on the computer. The computer has not been backup in awhile. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can boot the PC to safe mode, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter then click start up, remove all ticks associated with Norton, click apply and reboot

If it loads properly and you have the installation CD for Norton, then you should go to add / remove to click change for Norton, see if it has a repair option, if not, uninstall it, but only if you have the Norton installation CD

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
krnl386.exe simply facilitates use between .dlls. Generally in WinME, MSN Messenger and it's .dlls are what becomes corrupt. You have a couple options:

Firstly, you could quick format (which would leave most of your files intact). Make sure you have your WinME installation disk (and your CD-Key - which may be on the back of the installation booklet or on the side of your computer, depending on the manufacturer, I'm not sure what Sony does).

You could fully format, which if you can stand, I would reccomend. Depending on the size of your hard drive, this could take half an hour to several hours. See above about the WinME installation disk.

There are several windows links on this topic here: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=209321

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
goldenboy623...

First follow Keith's advice to stop Norton from starting on startup. I'm not real keen on removing Norton, that can be a very messy affair...unless, as Keith states, you have the cd.

You might also try this...

Press and hold the Ctrl key down while restarting your machine...then choose Safe Mode from the Start up Menu. If you are able to enter Safe Mode, do a system restore.

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

You will be presented with two options on the Welcome page:

• Restore my computer to an earlier time
• Create a restore point

Click "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click Next...A calendar appears.

In the calendar, choose which Restore Point to roll your system back to...choose a date before your problem began...Click Next.

You will be prompted to close all applications before completing the Restore process because the computer will restart...Upon completion of the restart, a confirmation screen appears. Click OK to continue to the desktop.

Post back to this thread with your results..good OR bad.

wannabe1