Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of hard drive space [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PhotoBoy

PhotoBoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well Bobby, erm, Phil, I have news!

Your last suggestion of disabling system restore, and re-enabling did the trick!

I would notice a loss in disk space very time I re-booted, but, I am now steady at 22.7 gigs after several re-boots! OK, so I was off with my estimated total, but I'm back in business! :)

Thanks Joe, erm, Phil me friend. :ph34r:

I've given up on Norton as I had to trouble-shoot it far too often, and for the time being am using AVG. A long term 'security suite' is what I'll seek eventually.

One last question before I head for PayPal is, should I compress my hard drive? I see the option there, but should I?

Thanks again me Worcestershire sauce merchant. :) :) :tazz:

John

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
:) :) :) :tazz:

Hello again John

I knew these emoticons were used for something.

Firstly, I must thank you for your generosity.

Stick with AVG, you may just get to like it and if you want an antispyware programme running alongside it, consider Microsoft Antispyware (free), Spybot Tea Timer (free), Ewido security suite (pay for). Do not get any of the ones mentioned in this article:

http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm

I would say, only compress your hard drive if you need the space. My son compressed mine for me whilst I was on holiday. Frankly I don't need the space, but I have experienced no problems at all since it was done.

I use AVG with MSAS, both doing daily updates and scans, and I use Firefox as my browser. I scan with Ewido weekly and use Ad-Aware and Spybot about once a month. I haven't had any problems since switching to Firefox about a year ago.

I wish you happy safe surfing John and I think Boney M were wrong to sing about your mother. :ph34r:

PhotoBoy

PhotoBoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Ma ma ma ma - ma baker - she taught her four sons
Ma ma ma ma - ma baker - to handle their guns
Ma ma ma ma - ma baker - she never could cry
Ma ma ma ma - ma baker - but she knew how to die

They left a trail of crime
Across the u.s.a.
And when one boy was killed
She really made them pay
She had no heart at all
No no no heart at all

Bloody 'ell, she never told me. And I thought she was from Sutton Coldfield!

Anyway, thanks again Phil. :tazz:

Many thanks too for the additional advice. I've learnt a lot from all this!

:) :)

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
You are very welcome JB

I will leave this thread open for a few days in case of misfortune.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.