Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Outage =\

• Please log in to reply

NeedsHelpFast7897

NeedsHelpFast7897

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
There was a power outage in I believe three of the cities within California earlier today, and my city had to be one of them. My computer [The one I'm typing from is my younger brother's], refuses to work correctly. When I turn it on, it loads a few screens, and ends up with the following:

The last attempt to restart the system from it's previous location failed. Attempt to restart again? [And two options appear, the top one is selected, and my keyboard WILL NOT allow me to choose the second, I hit the down arrow, and nothing happens. The options are]:

Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu. [This is highlighted]
or
Continue with system restart.

At this screen my keyboard will not work, but if I press a button such as F10 while waiting for the screen to load, my keyboard works through-out the menus.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

Then here if you need to

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Then here if you need to

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

NeedsHelpFast7897

NeedsHelpFast7897

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
At the moment I am unable to find my computer disks. In the meantime, are there any other options I have? I tried some stuff with my computer, and I reached something called Flash Recovery.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That looks like the recovery of the BIOS

What are the options

Thje first link in the above post is the only option from those which does not need the XP CD

NeedsHelpFast7897

NeedsHelpFast7897

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Luckily, I found my CD's. The first link you posted does not help because hitting F8 results in nothing, and the computer just does the same thing. I'm trying to use the second link currently. I set my computer to boot from CD first, and afterwards, I put my Windows CD inside. After restarting once or twice, it gave me with a screen that said 'Press any key to boot from CD' and I was pressing some random letter and nothing was happening. So the dots [...] kept dotting as if I didn't want to boot from CD and went to the screen I described in my first post. I can not access my computer to reach the desktop and options such as 'shut down', so the third link isn't much help.

NeedsHelpFast7897

NeedsHelpFast7897

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Well, I got the repairing working now. My monitor has been showing the 'Please wait while setup initializes your Windows XP configuration', with 'Saving configuration...' at the bottom of the screen for around 20-25 minutes. Is what's supposed to happen happening?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, it ought not take so long, if you are not in a rush, give it half an hour, or restart it

NeedsHelpFast7897

NeedsHelpFast7897

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
It went through but ended up at this screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to pevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this error stop screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing, If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable comments, restart your computer. press f8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Inforatmion

*** STOP [A list of numbers]

NeedsHelpFast7897

NeedsHelpFast7897

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
After trying again multiple times I have just reached a screen that says on the side 'Collecting Information, Dynamic Update, Preparing Installation, Installing Windows, Finishing Installation. [Setup will complete in approximately: 39 minutes]

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You are probably stuck with restarting until it gets to the desktop

Fortunately it seems to be getting there

NeedsHelpFast7897

NeedsHelpFast7897

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
It asked me for my authentication code, and I could not find it on the Windows XP pack that the company I bought my computer gave to me. I am just going to give them my PC because I am not an expert with them. I'd like to thank you Keith so much for all the help. Thanks for your time.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They should have put it on the side of the PC