Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

invalid BOOT INI file

• Please log in to reply

moyra

moyra

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
hi all, i have posted before and put a hjt log in but i think i made a mess of things .. anyway this is another problem i have been having... is there any way to repair or replace the ini file? also my computer will not switch off after it tells me it is safe to turn of my computer i press the power button and sometimes have to press it 6 to 10 times before it shuts off or turn it off at the power point ?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

The PC will shut down if you press and hold the power button in for 10 seconds or so

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
hi keith, thank you for your reply, did what you said, have cd but error comes up,, windows cannot find sfc/scannow make sure you typed the name correctly etc etc
???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is sfc then space then /scannow

sfc /scannow

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
sorry,,, really am a novice,,, did that, comes up message insert your windows xp pro service pack 2 cd,,, did that ,,, another message saying its the wrong cd ? it is the same cd,,

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith, sorry to bother you again, i put the cd in rebooted the pc, didnt boot from cd so turned off again, entered del got into the bios but couldnt see any way of changing the boot sequence. at the moment it has got boot sequence A,C,SCSI, dont know where to go from there. selected it and pressed enter but nothing happens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go back there, use the down arrow key to move it so the boot sequence you mentioned is highlighted, then press the page up key until the CD ROM Drive shows first, then press F10 to save and exit, type Y to confirm then press enter with the XP CD in the drive, look for press any key to load from CD

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok will do ,, thank you.

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Keith (if your there today) after a bit of trial and error i got there only to find that Windows Setup could not find any existing Windows installations. It tells me to put in the full version cd, the prob is i only have the xp upgrade,,,,i do have the right disc in there and it is original. i think i will give up at least it is still loading at the moment. what do you think ?? will it continue to load this way indefinately?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No reason why it should not

If you set a restore point every few days, at least you have something to work with

You need to contact the supplier of the disc, or contact Microsoft directly

If the disc is damaged / corrupt then they will replace it

moyra

moyra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok i will make sure i have a restore point and i will also contact the supplier, the price you pay for these things they should do what they are suppose to do hey.
thank you for your time and patience.
regards
Moyra