Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

deleting everything

• Please log in to reply

Toombs

Toombs

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
how do you delete or get rid off everything in your computer ?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It depends what you need to do with the PC after you have

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
im gonna start from scratch coz ive given up trying to find a way to fix it coz my wallpaper wont change, my programs dont respond or have an error saying reinstalling will make it work, my whole toolbar isnt there and i cant go on the net so im using the schools computer...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you installed with an XP SP1 CD then go to add / remove, tick show updates then remove SP2

Click yes to all the warnings and reboot after SP2 is removed

As soon as the PC starts to boot, keep tapping the delete key until you enter set up, look for boot priority and change it to CD ROM then hard drive

Press F10 to save and exit then type Y to confirm, put the XP CD in the drive then press enter

Follow the instructions to install without repairing, confirm you want to delete the partition, (press L then enter)

The drive will format, takes a minute per GB of hard drive then it will reboot and install XP

Install the firewall and anti-virus programmes before going online and update them as soon as you do

Activate Windows then go to microsoft.com, downloads, popular downloads, search for downloads, get Windows Installer 3.1 for XP

Reboot then got to microsoft.com, use search microsoft.com and type

Microsoft Update, click the link for microsoft update, install it then run it to look for all critical updates, including SP2

You may need to reboot and go back to Microsoft Update a few times, it will install a link at the top of start / all programmes

Make sure you have all the installation CD's for any programmes you need

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
thanks i'll try it

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i dont know if i have an xp disc im not sure but i'll post a picture of it.
its an acer dics and windows xp home sp1 is written on it...

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Heres the disc 2.jpg

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I tried uninstalling sp2, but it gave an error

"Device Installer Error"

"Windows could not load the installer for diskdrive. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance."

and when i put the os disk

" Windows could not load installer modem. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance." please help...

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
oh yeah i was looking for regedit.exe in my computer but i didnt find it, i didnt uninstall it or delete it.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Change your BIOS boot order to boot with the cd and choose the long format and a clean install. That way you won't carry over any problems.

Johanna

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
ok i'll try it. thanks

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts