Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vonage with cable modem with usb

• Please log in to reply

bettaawareness

bettaawareness

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, i only have a small clue what i'm doing so i'll just try my best to describe. i have vonage set up - linksys standard voip broadband router with 2 phone ports & 4 ethernet ports (can't find a model#) that gets sent when signing up (have switched voice quality to normal) and a webstar dpc2100 cable modem.
i called the cable company because my internet was very slow, they said the problem was that the cable modem was being routed through the linksys router and it was slowing the computer internet down. he then said he installed drivers from the webstar cd, plugged a usb into the cable modem and then into the computer. he said this way the cable modem would no longer run through the linksys router and everything would work better. well, the computer then would not connect to the internet at all. he said he couldn't help me further, put everything back the way it was and said goodbye.
so now i'd like to ask - is it possible to connect the cable modem to the computer with a usb and use the linksys router for vonage at the same time?i did try to connect the usb myself and was given the error message that the device had malfunctioned and it pointed to the usb (it did it on 2 different usb's). i currently have an ethernet cord from the cable modem to linksys, an ethernet cord from linksys to the computer, and a phone plugged in on the linksys. i have xp home, a dell dimension 2400 2.4ghz pentium. not sure what else you might need to know.
hopefully i'm making sense! does anyone else have any better ideas on how i could make this all run more efficiently? sometimes it's slower than dialup and a real nightmare. Thank you!!!

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello bettaawareness, and welcome to Geeks to Go,

I must first apologize for the length of time on my reply to your post. This is a very busy Forum and I will now make it my mission to ensure we do everything from here on out to help get your problem resolved, in as timely a manner as possible.

I need a little additional information to get you started down the right road to fixing your problem !

Please provide answer's for the following questions (1 - 9):

1) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Ethernet Card currently Installed on your problematic PC?

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router you are using?

3) What IP Configuration does your ISP use, Cable/DSL (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

4) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already?

5) I also need some clarification on your current setup and problem's:

Problem A
"You Said" - i called the cable company because my internet was very slow... We will call this "Problem A"

Problem B
"You Said" - the computer then would not connect to the internet at all [after switching to USB].... We will call this this "Problem B"

Problem C
"You Said" - is it possible to connect the cable modem to the computer with a usb and use the linksys router for vonage at the same time... We will call this "Problem C"

Your trouble Shooting Step and Current Solution.
"You Said" - i currently have an ethernet cord from the cable modem to linksys, an ethernet cord from linksys to the computer, and a phone plugged in on the linksys...

6) Does your cable operator provide telephone service through Voice over IP or twisted pair plant. Beware if they do... your bandwidth usage is monitored and you may get fines for exceding your max Usage limits through your vonage setup... I am a technician with a major cable operator and we offer Voice over IP and any techs that find a vonage setup are required to report the customer to our switch operator for bandwidth monitoring..(A ploy to get them to drop Vonage and subscribe to us)(I know it seems crappy - but this is a competitive privatised industry)

7) Does the linksys / Vonage router have a USB port?

8) What are all the advertised downstream and upstream speeds from your ISP company and what speeds do you subscribe to?

9) Which of the three problems are you needing assistance with... or are you needing assistance with all three?

PLEASE ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS SO WE CAN BETTER HELP YOU.