Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive troubles

• Please log in to reply

GSmith34

GSmith34

• Pip
  • 3 posts
the other day the bios stopped seeing the slave hard drive. I unhooked the master and ran the manufacturers hard drive tools and it said the drive was fine, but when i reconnect master, it does not auto detect the slave. I have been running the master(seagate)/ slave(western digital) setup for years and never had a problem before. Any ideas or suggestions?

thanks

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Other than checking to see that all the settings are correct in BIOS by going into Setup.

GSmith34

GSmith34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been through all the settings in bios and I can not get it to see the slave drive. I have tried a couple different cables to see if maybe it had gone bad. It only detects the drive when i disconnect the master drive from the system.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try connecting it to the other ide cable. It's possible that the problem isn't with that drive at all.

GSmith34

GSmith34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
after some sleep, I decided to try hooking my slave hd up to the second ide controller with one of my cd drives, it now sees the 2nd hard drive. when I connect the 2nd cd drive to where the slave hd was on ide1, it does not recognize it being there in bios. I have tried 2 different ribbon cables and same result. For some reason it will not detect any drive as a slave on ide1. am hoping it is not the motherboard.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you have it jumpered properly I assume...is it cabled properly?

The master should be on the end of the cable, the slave on the middle connector.

Neither drive should be set to cable select with the jumper.

Have you updated the bios on this PC (could that have stopped it from functioning)?

Can you manually set up the drive in bios?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

after some sleep, I decided to try hooking my slave hd up to the second ide controller with one of my cd drives, it now sees the 2nd hard drive. when I connect the 2nd cd drive to where the slave hd was on ide1, it does not recognize it being there in bios. I have tried 2 different ribbon cables and same result. For some reason it will not detect any drive as a slave on ide1. am hoping it is not the motherboard.

View Post

It could be the motherboard, the chipset drivers and even the master hard drive. but at least you have access to the drive so you won't lose your files. To narrow the possibilites down put BOTH hard drives on the other cable, you could just switch the connectors into the motherboard.