Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.
Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP
- From the Start menu, select Run.
- In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
- Select the OK button.
- Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
- Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.
Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP
- From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
- Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
- Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
- In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
- In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
- Click the Search button.
- In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
- Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
- Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.