Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPod Problem

• Please log in to reply

jaysi

jaysi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an iPod mini with the latest software installed on it. I just strted using my system I havent used for the whole summer and the ipod wil not connect to itunes. Windows sees it, but itunes gives the communication error.

I have followed the instructions given here: http://docs.info.app...ml?artnum=93716 which do not solve the problem.

I have uninstalled itunes, cleaned the registry, deleted the folders of iTunes and iPod. Reinstall itunes and have determined that windows refuses to start the iPodService.exe required for the ipod to coomuncate with iTunes. I am able to connect the same ipod on my friends system fine, but not on mine.

ANY suggestions?! I'm at a loss as to why windows wont start this service. Its not even listed in the services listings.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't have an ipod, but given the info provided, I would hook the ipod up to your friends computer, then go to the services console, find the ipod service, and look for dependencies. Record those, and see if you have disabled a service needed by it

start > run
services.msc
<enter>

chadman1

chadman1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having the exact same problem. I bought my iPod about 9 months ago. Recently, I upgraded iTunes to 5.0. Now, I am experiencing the same problem as described above. I too have tried all suggested fixes with no luck. If there was any resolution to this with the suggested method, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

jaysi

jaysi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey. I managed to fix my problem. What I did was uninstalled anything iTunes related and ipod related and ran registry cleaners to clean out their keys.

I put my CD which came with the ipod in, and went to the iTunes folder on it and ran it's installer. It installed the older iTunes and all is well again.

Have been weary in upgrading to the newest iTunes, 5.1? or whatever. I'm afraid my ipod wont like the upgrade.

chadman1

chadman1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the response. I am not familiar with 'registry cleaners'. Can you direct to me to them, and how to properly use them? Thanks.

chadman1

chadman1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
One more thing. Most fixes I've seen posted for this problem involve changing setting for iPodService.exe under the Services list. Well, this program does not appear at all on the list, even after resinstallations. From what I understand, I need this running to talk to the IPod. Any ideas on how to add it to my Services?

jaysi

jaysi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thats the whole issue...there is no service! what you want to try to do:

1. go to Control Pannel Add and Remove Programs and remove ITunes.

2. Go to C:\Program Files\ and delete the iTunes folder.

3. Download Registry Repair, free for 30 days form http://www.glarysoft.com/
Install and run this program. This will clean out old invalid registry items. NOTE: I recommend running this program 2-3 times (or until it returns no items after a scan) before proceeding.

4. Now insert the CD which came with your iPod. If it auto runs close it. Go My Computer, right click your cd rom drive and click Explore. From here there should be a folder called ITuned, double click this. Double click the setup, and let it install iTunes.

5. Hopefully after this you should now have the iPod service running and your ipod will work.

This is what I did to correct my problem. Good luck.

Edited by jaysi, 30 September 2005 - 11:43 AM.

chadman1

chadman1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It worked! A million thanks. The mysterious ways of the registry once again burn me.

Anyone having this problem, I highly recommend the solution above. :tazz:

jaysi

jaysi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It worked! A million thanks. The mysterious ways of the registry once again burn me.

Anyone having this problem, I highly recommend the solution above. :)

View Post

Gald it worked! :tazz: