Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with NAV pop up

• Please log in to reply

shepard

shepard

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
We get a pop up NAV alert on one of our computers stating "Your computer is at risk in the following area. Virus protection is turned off". Problem is that virus protection and auto protect are turned on! If you click OK, the pop up goes away for a few seconds, then pops up again. Only way to use that computer is to move the pop up to one side of the screen and ignore it.

NAV is up to date. Windows is up to date. Have scanned with Spy Bot and AdAware.

Help!? Thanks!

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
that's not a norton message. its a windows message. xp has decided that you don't have virus protection when you actually do.

go to the control panel, click on security centre. there should be 3 things: automatic updates, firewall, and antivirus. click on the antivirus bit and somewhere should be an option to say 'i have antivirus that I will monitor myself' or something like that. I'm sorry about not being specific but I'm not in xp right now and I have to reboot to get back into it. but it should be pretty straightforward and the popup should go away.

shepard

shepard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Actually, the color, Symantec and Norton name etc. leads me to believe it is a Norton message, not a windows message. But I don't know for sure.

Anyway, the option you describe has always been ticked on all our computers. I double checked the computer with the pop up problem and it is still selected to monitor the antivirus myself, so the problem is not related to that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

special-one

special-one

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
well, i guess .. you try the "default all" option in Norton antivirus preferences .. you also have to check that in your Security center .. all the three of the options are turned on or not ... and then reboot your computer .. and if doesn't solve ur problem, download the intelligent updater .. and update your virus definitions again .. and if u still get the same problem .. reinstall the norton antivirus on one of ur PC and check that problem is solved or not .. if the problem is not solved .. then there is some thing regarding with your o/s :tazz:

shepard

shepard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Already tried the "default" options. What is the intelligent updater and how does that differ from the automatic updates, or doing it manually. Both of which I have done.

If I have to uninstall and reinstall, that is really a last option as I have found in the past that NAV does not really uninstall itself completely. I have read that there is a special tool or download somewhere on the Symantec website that will do a better job of uninstalling?

special-one

special-one

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
i dont think so, that symantec.com has any tool for removing NAV completely, because they has already provided uninstall package with their product, well .. if u know any other way to uninstall NAV completely, tell me about it too
I m bit confuse about your question .. that .. are u asking about .. difference between intelligent updater and liveupdate .. or you have already tried both the ways ...
Anyhow if u want to know about the difference .. than the distinction is detailed in the symantec.com

shepard

shepard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Symantec does have a tool for removing their products if the Windows Add/Remove tool does not work. The link is pinned somewhere in these forums.

I am sorry you did not understand my question about the updates. Don't really know how to word it differently. Here is another try: What is the Intelligent Updater and how does the Intelligent Updater differ from the Automatic Update tool in NAV?

I have had a response to the original problem through e-mail from Norton Tech Support. Their response does not solve the issue, however. The copy of NAV (2004 version), in question expires next month and I already have 2005 to install on it. Maybe that will solve the problem.

special-one

special-one

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
you better check this link for the difference between "intelligent updater and live update"
Using the Intelligent updater instead of Live update

This site may also help you .. which i found in symantec.com .. this is what i guess you are looking for
Removing your Norton Program using SymNRT

Edited by special-one, 15 September 2005 - 01:03 PM.