Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Popup message on XP Home - Low virtual memory

• Please log in to reply

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I keep getting this message, my computer has low virtual memory and the computer is giving more, or something like that. It is hard to download stuff because I get that message. Most of the time I get it when I am just getting on the computer and all the programs are logging on. Does anybody have any idea? Hopefully a quick fix?

Jamica

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
http://www.askdaveta...in_windows.html

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
the part about determining which program is using more virtual memory than it should puzzles me because most systems that use a lot of virtual memory don't actually have any 'problems' so to speak. windows by default allocates very little virtual memory, when you should technically have twice what you have in RAM. this makes the warnings pop up if you're trying to run a lot of complex programs at the same time.

I used to get this warning every time I ran photoshop and firefox and winamp all together. I also didn't have very much RAM at the time. I think it's rather obvious why it gave me that warning. so I guess my point is before you start hunting for 'problems', think about the nature of your programs. some programs are just naturally memory intensive. almost all low virtual memory warnings can be solved just by following the first part of that link and increasing your page file size.