Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CANT START COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i was on my comptuer and then the power box it was hooked up too turned off then i turned it back on, when it came back on and i turned my comptuer on it said to run in safe mode, last known configuration, or start windows normally. i have tried all the options and it goes to the loadin page but it doesnt go any farther, it just restarts and goes back to the safe mode, last config, and start normally screen and it keeps doin that, cant even log on, any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Use your windows cd to run the recovery console and run chkdsk with the /r switch.

If you do not have a windows cd, download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle36941.aspx

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run
chkdsk /r

at a command prompt.

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
so will this work even if my computer doesnt load up? it doesnt even get to the log on user screen

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
and is the link a download to error doctor 2006? thats what i gotta download?

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
oh ok i found the RC.iso download but when i click it it doesnt work, it says its unavailable

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
HELLO?!!! i havent gotten a reply in a few days? can ayone help me

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bloodsworld

Did follow gerryf's suggestion on burning the ISO image to cd? (Post #2) Having not created the cd correctly would yeild the results you describe.

wannabe1

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
yes i went to the link that he sent me to download it but the link was crashed, it said unavailable..so i did not make the cd because of that reason. is there any other sites that i can download the RC.iso?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're right, bloodsworld...I can't get past the "sponsered links" to get the download either. working to find another option....

wannabe1

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok so i guess i wait? i really need this to work tho i have very important files on my computer :tazz: ...please help! :)

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
ok ive been waitin for about 9 days now, does anyone have any results yet?

forkart

forkart

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

oh ok i found the RC.iso download but when i click it it doesnt work, it says its unavailable

View Post

Try to use magiciso built-in ISO burner to burn RC.iso to CD.

http://www.magiciso....iso-burnwin.htm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bloodsworld...

If you have a floppy drive, you can also install the Recovery Console using the XP start up disk set. They can be downloaded from the microsoft site.

If you have XP Home download HERE
or XP Home SP2 HERE

If you have XP Pro download HERE
or XP Pro SP2 HERE

Then follow the instructions HERE to run the recovery console (startup disk procedure is about halfway down the page). Use the chkdsk /r command.

wannabe1