Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP locks after 24 hours

• Please log in to reply

itz_ya_bwoy

itz_ya_bwoy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'm having a problem its just about Everynight while im on my computer around the same time my computer starts to what it seems like, lock up.

For instance I'd be playing a song on iTunes and around that certain time by the next song it stops playing and will not play basically.

I try and access The Volume Control and i get an error, try to open winamp and get a load of errors, my connection litterally freezes which causes 0 transfer, and ontop of all of that my computer starts to lagg!

a Simple Restart fixes the problem Temporarily, but come that same time, the problem still remains...

this is really starting to irritate me and i dont want to have to go through the proccess of backing up and reinstalling Windows and everything else, and I'd really appreciate some help. thanx

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would start looking at

a) heat build up--if your PC is turned on, say after dinner each day and runs constantly for four hours before locking under normal use, the length of time the pc is on could be the cuprit.

b) trojan. You could have a trojan that has turned your PC into a zombie--the hidden program is set to run a series of processes at a given time (phone home, serve files, initiate DoS attack on a server).

check your event viewer for mroe clues.

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

itz_ya_bwoy

itz_ya_bwoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
how do i list the red X Problems? Just List the Source? or do i have to go into the properties and so on...?