Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Dos scripts

• Please log in to reply

patslaiby

patslaiby

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Dear all,
I would like to know if I can do the following using dos script:
let's say i created a batch file to run on my pc, is ther a way to run this batch file by simply assigning a button for it (ex pressing F2 or whatever will run the batch job)?
Really would appreciate the help guys :tazz:

Thx

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hello,

somone else might know of a way to do this, but in DOS most of the F-keys are already assigned to commands related to that system.

for example F3 repeats the last DOS command you used (i.e. dir/w gives you a wide view of your current directory, if you hit F3 it repeats the command dir/w and waits for you to hit enter)

those command overrides, which is what you are wanting to do, are usually scripted into the programs when created. You can download a program called F-Keys 1.3 which will allow you assign keys, its a TSR (To Stay Resident) Program and is shareware so there could be a fee associated with it to unlock its full potential.

below I have listed what the current assignments for the F-Keys.F1: Repeats the letters of the last command line, one by one

F2: Displays a dialog asking user to "enter the char to copy up to" of the last command line

F3: Repeats the last command line

F4: Displays a dialog asking user to "enter the char to delete up to" of the last command line

F5: Goes back one command line

F6: Enters the traditional CTRL+Z (^z)

F7: Displays a menu with the command line history

F8: Cycles back through previous command lines (beginning with most recent)

F9: Displays a dialog asking user to enter a command number, where 0 is for first command line entered

F10: Unassigned

F11: Unassigned

F12: Unassigned

patslaiby

patslaiby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thx a lot for the help, will give it a try