Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

anti-virus programs...

• Please log in to reply

theletterN

theletterN

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi... i wasn't sure where this question should go, as there didn't seem to be a forum particularly for it, so forgive me if i am posting in the wrong place...

about 2 months ago, i bought a new computer and it came with norton installed on it-- BUT only a trial for a certain length of time, which i've discovered is going to soon run out ( :tazz: ) ......so, a few people have told me that there are FREE anti-virus programs out there to be downloaded and used...but i don't know what/where...what is the BEST free one? or is there a 'best' one?...or should i go back to the place i bought it from and buy something there? (i'm guessing that's pretty expensive, and i'd rather not if it was just as safe to get something from somewhere else) (forgive the ignorance...i'm learning on my own here)

if anyone has an answer or three, i'd be most grateful. :)

Advertisements

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Try out the free edition of AVG anti virus program.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I use Avast, which is free for home use. I've been using it for over a year without any problems.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 13 September 2005 - 07:22 AM.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Have you Tried Norton and McAfee Antivirus ?

theletterN

theletterN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks...i'll check out those two ^^^ :tazz:

cleverboy12---> norton is what came on it.....but it "expires" shortly, or so it keeps telling me......i remember the guy who sold it to us saying that it was only good for 90 days or something like that, that we'd have to get/buy/etc something else....

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
avast and avg are decent, free av programs. Personally I like ewido. We us it here frequently to clean infected systems. It does a pretty good job of viri and malware removal.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have a solid love/hate relationship with Norton. It's top-heavy and awkward, but it is also relatively easy to walk new users through, and to support. A system admin can also set it to be (almost) idiot proof. Norton is very effective, and well worth the $30 you can expect to pay for an upgrade.

There is one more compelling reason I would recommend that you renew your subscription: Norton spiders deep into the registry and assumes command of XP unlike any other software I've ever seen. Completely removing it is almost impossible, and "uninstalls" often don't go well because registry keys the replacement software wants to use are not recognized properly after Norton. The only 100% effective way I know to clear Symantec out of a system is a full format and reinstallation of XP.

In short, you are asking for trouble messing with a Norton install.

If you already know about the difference between a "firewall" and an "anti-virus" program, skip this next part.

Anti-virus protection, which you have, scans files like email attachments. A firewall protects your computer from unauthorized Internet activity. XP has a built in firewall enabled by default, but it's not as good as third-party ones that are allowed to update whenever the computer is online. If your firewall is off, your modem should be unplugged, and you should not be online. (Online means connected to the Internet, for example, reading email or surfing.) You need a good firewall because AV (antivirus) software is not enough. Trojans and worms come through the Internet connection (Yes, dial up, too) and are constantly scanning for unprotected computers. They either steal bandwidth, or resources, and/or begin sending mail rapidly to every address they can find on your hard drive to either infect other computers, or launch denial-of-service attacks, turning your computer into a “zombie”.

Spyware and Adware are different. They will change your home page, stall your system, send out personal data to target ads to you, based on your surfing habits. You get them by accident, or hidden in other programs or dowloads that you think you want. (There is no software program out there that is worth the extra ads and spyware. There are always clean and free alternatives.)

One of the malware techs has a line as his signature that sums up Internet Security very well. "Security is a process, not a procedure."

If you are still awake, I hope you found some of this info useful.
Johanna

theletterN

theletterN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
starjax---> thanks, i've never heard of the "ewido" one before....

czarina---> thank so much for all of that!...very infomataive, and answered some questions i've had that i dare not ask anyone for seeming like a dolt. :) ....it's difficult to just learn your way around (computers in general) by doing it, because if you screw something up..well--let's just hope i don't.

with regards to the "$30 for an upgrade" is that what the "renew your subscription" message box with "now" and "later" and a warningof my only having a certain number of days left is all about?.....i was figuring it prolly took you to the site and you paid via credit card or something, after what the salesguy said about having to buy it if you wanted it after 90 days or whatever....

for "spyware" i have something called "spysubtract" .....i've played with it a bit, to see what it does, and used it to get rid of some (i think.)......again, this came on it...

also, i don't have the cd's for anything---strangely, they don't sell them with the machine...the first thing the guy told me to do was to make recovery cds, and luckily, the guy who came to hook up our high speed showed me how to do that....

anyway. thank you VERY much....sorry ittook me a few dyas to get back to you...i really appreciate the advice and explanations--and if there's anything else i should know, i'm all ears. or eyes, rather. :)

EDIT: i just wondered...if you might know what this was about (it's happened twice, once very badly, the second time not as bad)....out of the blue, i started getting windows search boxes popping up madly on my screen--like, 40 of them over top of each other, and i couldn't use the keyboard, couldn't use internent explorer--when i clicked that icon, it gave me the internet properties menu instead-- and it kept going BEEP BEEP BEEP and making a racket....the first time, i called this number that was in the papers that came with it--this was about a month & half ago-- and after trying a few things that didn't work, the guy had me do a "system restore" (i think it was called...where you set the date back)....problem went away.....about 2 weeks ago, it happened again--possibly having something to do with my trying to hook up and use an older HP printer??? because it happened when i tried to use it--[bleep] thing won't work and i daren't try again, so i'm printerless for now////this might be speparate, but it was at the time, so////....so i did that myself, remembering how (thank god, because i really didn't want to call that number again....the guy was quite rude and curt on the phone..almost sounding angry that i didn't know everything i "should know"...anyway, it stopped doing it....and hasn't since...i'm curious if that sounds like anything you've seen/heard of before?..i was rather distraught at the time because it's such a new machine, eh.....i tried searching around here for anyone else speaking of such, but found nothing....if you don't, that's fine, no big deal...just wondered and thought i'd ask. though i don't know how good of a job i just did trying to explain all that. :tazz:

eta2: lol...what got "[bleep]" 'ed out? amusing me, because i don't really curse, so whatever i wrote couldn't have been any more than a "[bleep]" or something light like that. :) ---hahah, it was that i guess since it did it again...i take it there's a pretty strict filtering thingy on here then. *amused*

Edited by theletterN, 18 September 2005 - 09:15 AM.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Ditto to what Caine and ZEUS_GB both suggested. Both AVG and Avast are excellent anti-virus solutions, and either one should work for the regular home PC - provided, of course, that you update your virus definitions regularly.

biggles007

biggles007

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

hi... i wasn't sure where this question should go, as there didn't seem to be a forum particularly for it, so forgive me if i am posting in the wrong place...

about 2 months ago, i bought a new computer and it came with norton installed on it-- BUT only a trial for a certain length of time, which i've discovered is going to soon run out (  :tazz:  ) ......so, a few people have told me that there are FREE anti-virus programs out there to be downloaded and used...but i don't know what/where...what is the BEST free one? or is there a 'best' one?...or should i go back to the place i bought it from and buy something there? (i'm guessing that's pretty expensive, and i'd rather not if it was just as safe to get something from somewhere else) (forgive the ignorance...i'm learning on my own here)

if anyone has an answer or three, i'd be most grateful.  :)

View Post

I'd try Penicillin Capsules before I'd use Norton. It takes over the pc.
and it damaged my hd about 10 years ago.

Edited by biggles007, 19 September 2005 - 02:00 PM.