Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP configurating windows as Windows starts

• Please log in to reply

scarletb79

scarletb79

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello again,

days ago I installed a new HP printer (I've had my comp turned on for many days) and, a few minutes ago, when rebooting, I realized that it kind of completed the installation.

It showed me some windows configuring the software, so just to be sure I did the reboot again too see what would have happened and the same thing happened.

Note that the HP cd is not in the dvd reader. So now every time I boot the comp these HP configurating windows appear.

Then, it's happened for a couple of months, every time I shut down the comp one or two small window/s appear saying that it/they are trying to shut one program. I wait and after a while the comp is shut down...but everytime I have to wait so it's a bit boring! :tazz:

Thank You so much!

Barbara

Advertisements

davepig

davepig

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
hope this helps...

if you are on XP, go to start>run then type "msconfig" and hit enter.

choose the startup tab (on the right). this lists all the programs which start up with your pc. Uncheck those you know longer want.

Then you will be asked to reboot, and hopefully problem solved!

If not, post back.

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I did it unselecting one of the hp items but it didn't work. It will probably work with one of the others
but
as I rebooted Windows a message appeared saying that I had rebooted Windows avoiding, skipping certain programs, so in a kind of incomplete way. Is there another way to solve the thing, that is, instead of blocking the program start, is there a kind of "upper" level way and erase the program from the list of the things to execute, "at the base"?

Thank You,

Barbara

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go into start > settings > fax and printers, mark the printer in question, go into File and delete it. Then go into File > Add Printer, and reinstall your printer.

This and maslware scans are basics in such situation. If this doesn't help let us know.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Mike Lin's StartUpCPL
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
This free program adds to tab to your Control Panel that allows you to select what you want to start with Windows.

Follow y.a.'s advice with the printer (delete it and reboot, let Windows "find" it, then install its drivers) and you should be okay.

Johanna

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Thank you.

Unfortunaly I've found out that is a HP software bug because I have an HP digital camera's software and an HP all-in-one software and since HP said that they cannot coexist in the same system fot the compatibility of some programs' versions.

Crazy. :)

If you've met a person with the same problem can you please tell me?

A really special "than you" to Czarina, you're great! :tazz:

Scarlet