Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clearing a slave drive

• Please log in to reply

Old Ron

Old Ron

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Some time ago I added a 40GB hard drive to my system. Set it as my primary drive (C:) and installed Windows XP pro.
I have back up or moved all the files I wanted from the old drive which is my slave drive (E:).
I'm already runing out of space on C and would like to clear off E for some extra room.
Can I format E without screwing things up on C? I would particularly like the space for a "scratch drive" for my Adobe Photoshop CS.
I have always been really nervous about formatting drives. I DON'T want to mess up my C: primary as I have just gotten it all cleaned up from a bunch of 'malware".

Thanks
Ron

Advertisements

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
You could get a program like Partition Magic. That would do it. Or, if you're using Win Xp, go to start, accesories, system tools, command prompt, then type: format E:
and proceed from there.

Old Ron

Old Ron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

You could get a program like Partition Magic. That would do it. Or, if you're using Win Xp, go to start, accesories, system tools, command prompt, then type: format E:
and proceed from there.

View Post

Thanks for the super quick reply. Just to be certain: I can simply format E: from within my Windows XP pro which is the operating system on C: and it will not screw up or remove anything from my primary drive C: .
I realize this shows how much I DON'T know about what I'm doing!
Thanks
Ron

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Just be sure to type:
format E:
It will verify that's what you want to do before proceeding, so you have a layer of protection. :tazz:

Old Ron

Old Ron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks for the super quick reply.  Just to be certain: I can simply format E: from within my Windows XP pro which is the operating system on C:  and it will not screw up or remove anything from my primary drive C: .
I realize this shows how much I DON'T know about what I'm doing!
Thanks
Ron

View Post

Thanks!!! :tazz:

Old Ron

Old Ron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks!!! :tazz:

View Post

OK - I went to the command promt and typed in "format E:" and I got a message that said the volume was in use and could not be formatted.
It offered to "force a dismount" I tried that and it would not allow it.

Told you I didn't know what I was doing - that's why I'm glad you folks are there.

What next? ;)

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
i'm guessing your using applications with the data on your slave. Your Norton will have files on there for a start.
You may have to put the slave in as primary for this as it can be hard to clear system volume info. etc. Once it's a primary you can boot with a Windows 98 boot disk? Then you can get into FDISK, erase the entire partition, and start anew.
If you don't have a 98 boot disk you can get one
from here

And a little info for you on formatting can be found here

Old Ron

Old Ron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

i'm guessing your using applications with the data on your slave. Your Norton will have files on there for a start.
You may have to put the slave in as primary for this as it can be hard to clear system volume info. etc. Once it's a primary you can boot with a Windows 98 boot disk? Then you can get into FDISK, erase the entire partition, and start anew.
If you don't have a 98 boot disk you can get one
from here

And a little info for you on formatting can be found here

View Post

OK. Thanks. If I have any problems "I'lll be back"
Ron