Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem accesing yahoo! and hotmail accounts

• Please log in to reply

vachavc

vachavc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear all

For the past 12 days I haven't been able to access neither one account from yahoo! nor another one from hotmail. Coincidently both are my main e-mail accounts :tazz: . Each problem started within a few hours from each other, and I hadn't done anything to the laptop's system configuration or changed my internet connection's specifications, anything.

What happens is the following:

At www.hotmail.com: Using IE 6.0:
(1) type name and password,
(2) a little window appears, stating: "You are about to view pages over a secure connection. Any information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed by anyone else on the Web."
(3) Press OK
(4) the browser is blank, and stays like that
With Netscape 7.2 it's completely ok, though.

At www.yahoo.com, using either IE or Netscape:
(1) type name and password

With IE 6.0:
(2) a white-background page appears, full of black characters of all sorts.

With Netscape 7.2:
(2) a little window appears with the message "The file "login" is of type application/octet-stream, and Netscape does not know how to handle this file type. This file is located at: http://e1.f611.mail.yahoo.com/ym/
What should Netscape do with this file?
Open it with the default application
Open it with (waiting for a programs' name)
Save it to disk"

In both hotmail and yahoo! cases, the problem only happens with my laptop and at home, as in uni's computer labs or anywhere else I've tried it's ok. Relaxing IE's security requirements, or cleaning up its temp files, cookies, and history (these 3 at once) doesn't do anything either.

Thank you very much ;)

vachavc

Advertisements

mllaw3mllaw3

mllaw3mllaw3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem with hotmail. How can it be solved?

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey all,
I have exactly the same problem with yahoo mail and also lycos mail..... I read on another forum that it could be a strain of the coolwebsearch that was not yet detectable. The solution offered was to run the recovery console using the windows xp program disk....Or (gulp!) if that failed to re-install windows...
It seems to me that something is hi-jacking our browsers or at least our email accounts, though it only happens with mail accounts with me, I can log into forums and things without issue....

I have however, managed to find a temporary solution to this issue....There is a program called 'admuncher' which I downloaded and installed, and it fixes the problem. The problem is not solved though, as the program is not free and is only a trial version that lasts for 30 days and then will stop working..... So I am still in need of assistance....
Alternatively I have heard that you can bypass the problem by configuring 'outlook express' to retrieve your mail (don't ask me how, I don't know.....yet), also 'firefox' browser has an outlook style program for secure email called 'thunderbird' ('firefox' has the same problem as 'ie' with the login problems)...If I can't figure this out soon....I will be forced to back up and format my hard drive and re-install windows xp and all the service packs and have to re-install all the programs I have....Nightmare!!
There must be an easier way!!!! :tazz:
Peace

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
We can't help all of you in the same topic, but we should start be looking at your Hijack This logs.

I read on another forum that it could be a strain of the coolwebsearch that was not yet detectable.

We've been able to detect than all so far. If there's a new one I'd like to know. :tazz:

Start here: -> http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

Here is another common solution when secure sites aren't accessible:

Try this - with all browser windows closed, Go to Start->Run and copy and paste each of the following, hitting ok after each:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
Reboot, then try to access the sites that were giving you problems again.

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey,
thanks for the reply. After reading it I ran cw shredder, checked for an update, there was one, installed it and performed a scan it came back with 'Found: CWS MSconfig'. I then re-ran cw-shredder performing a fix, the program crashed.... I restarted cw-shredder, performed the scan again, it said that I was not infected this time.... I am not convinced, I think I just drove it underground....
I am running fully up to date virus software (Avast! free personal edition) and many spyware programs that are also up to date (spybot, ad-aware, spyware blaster etc...), as well as regularilly performing system clean-ups and using reg-cleaner etc.
Here is my hi-jack this log file:

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WINPAT~1.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\John.HAL\My Documents\Applications\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1093111644699
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: PDEngine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDEngine.exe
O23 - Service: PDScheduler - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PDSched.exe
O23 - Service: Kerio Personal Firewall - Kerio Technologies - C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
Cheers! :tazz:

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey admin,
I tried what you suggested in regards to running the drivers and rebooting, it said it suceeded with each one. After the reboot I went to yahoo.com and tried to login there with no luck. The same problem with application/octet-stream appears with a download dialogue in 'ie' or else it just blocks the download and in 'firefox' it tells you that it is octet-stream that is trying to do something and it asks you what you want to do....
At least firefox gives you some clue as to what is going on. It is a serious nuisance, it has been this way for over one month now.
I think I may have to configure a mail clent to retrieve my mail if it is possible, though I hate to think that someone has got something into my system and I can't get rid of it! :tazz:
Cheers again!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Let's try running this utiluity to repair your WinSock:
http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

Download and run. Are you using a wireless router?

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am using a usb cable modem/router supplied by the company that also provides the server.
I ran the winsock program and rebooted, I got a warning message from win patrol asking me if I wanted to examine a altered 'host' file, I pressed 'yes' and it said this:
# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

I not sure what that means exactly, but the problem still remains the same...I get the option to try to download and save 'application/octet stream' or to browse for a program to open it with.... Neither option actually works.
The trial version of admuncher munches whatever it is that is causing the redirect or hi-jack or whatever it is and lets me access my mail..... that is why I suspect it is adware.

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok,
The trial version of admuncher has now expired so I no longer have any email access...
I have also tried to configure thunderbird and outlook express to retieve my mail but apparently yahoo! no longer supports this without a subscription fee.
I have almost every piece of (free) spyware / adware software installed on my system, all up to date and none of them (apart from admuncher) seem to be detecting anything unusual.... :cheers: ;)
I am thinking because this thread has been inactive the last few days that either no one knows what is up or they are still trying to figure it out....
I guess I may start to back up my hard drive and prepare to re-install windows...What a bummer if that didn't solve the issue! :tazz: :thumbsup:
Here is still hoping for a solution, cheers! :cheers:

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey,
Problem solved....I found this on another forum, it would seem like alot of people are suffering from the same issue...

"Are you with NTL? I've been having the same problem as you but have just sorted it by changing my proxy server - it looks like NTL's own proxy is up the spout and that's what's causing the Yahoo login problem.

In Internet Explorer: Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings and tick the box for "Use a proxy server...". The server I'm using is address 61.120.75.136 port 80 and I can now get into my mailbox without trouble!

Hope this helps."

This works, I can now access my mail....Apparently it is an issue with the company NTL... :tazz:

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Very strange. ;) I'll need to look into NTL some more. Have you always connected through a proxy server? By looking at the IP of that proxy server, I'm guessing it's only temporary. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your resoution. :tazz:

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
This is the first time I have used a proxy address in this way. I have always just started up whatever browser it is and gave it the ok with my firewall and that was it, until now:P. Apparently Yahoo! are aware of the issue but have failed to respond to it as yet and the same goes for NTL... I found this solution by searching 'cannot access yahoo mail account' on google and I got alot of search results...compared to yesterday when I did the same search and only recieved a few.
Yes it would appear to be only (another) temporary solution and who knows when the proxy server above will reach it's limit.
I am guessing it will become a more significant problem as time goes on as this is one of the most popular providers in the UK and this is potentially a big problem for many users.
Cheers, and glad if this helps anyone else:)

tibetanpunk

tibetanpunk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok,
I just ran a repair on my win xp installation, re-intalling all the service packs etc...
The proxy server settings that I was using were no longer present in the connection settings and when I tried to access my yahoo mail account I had no issue at all.
This may take a while but it would seem to be worth doing if anyone is suffering from the same problem. *probably only viable for cable users*

UnderDose

UnderDose

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The proxy server settings does not work on my PC, cause i can't open any web site
if i use a proxy server

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I have also tried to configure thunderbird and outlook express to retieve my mail but apparently yahoo! no longer supports this without a subscription fee.

View Post

FYI : If you want a free app to setup Outlook Express to get the mail at Yahoo, use YahooPops at : YahooPops

Yahoo! Mail disabled free access to its POP3 service o­n 24th April, 2002. This application emulates a POP3 server and enables popular email clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, etc., to download email from Yahoo! accounts. We do not go against the license agreements of Yahoo! Mail. This application is completely legitimate and well within the realms of legal software.

Ron