Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[HELP] Cannot boot !

• Please log in to reply

iyerns

iyerns

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Could someone please help me with this problem ? I cannot boot my machine now !

I have a dual boot XP and SusE Linux system and foolishly, I have removed the Linux partition from within XP and reformatted it as a FAT32 partition. Now, after rebooting, I get grub: Error 22: No such partition.

How can I get over this error and boot into XP ? Can I fix this from GRUB itself ?

Any help is appreciated !

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

You still have your XP partition, but now there is a blank FAT32 partition which used to be for your Linux partition, right?

If that is so, you will need a Windows 98 boot-up floppy disk. Start the computer with the disk in the drive. Press "Without CD-ROM support" when the option comes up. When it finishes and you see the "A:\" prompt, type "fdisk" and press enter. Your computer will ask you 1 or 2 questions, press "y" for both. In the menu that appears, there will be 4 choices. Choose the one that says "set active partition". I think it is number 2. Choose your main partition, the one that is NTFS, and now it will be made active IF IT ISN'T ALREADY. If it is already active, then this will not solve your problem. We will have to do something else. Once you are done, press the Escape button until you go back to the "A:\" prompt. Restart your computer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

Let me know how it goes.

computerwiz12890

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 September 2005 - 11:59 AM.