Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home W/SP2 Will Not Boot Normally

• Please log in to reply

Mrs_Roboto

Mrs_Roboto

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello,

I thought the PCs were supposed to make our lives easier. :tazz:

Here is my issue:

When I boot up my PC it passes the POST test and gives me its normal short beep. The Windows XP splash screen appears and and the littl blue bars scroll accross the bootom. After a second or two goes by what appears to be a "Blue Screen of Death" flashes on the screen and the PC reboots.

When this happens I am given the safe mode options, boot from a last known good configuration, and normal mode. (I am not in front of the PC now so the verbage may varry). Both the last know good and normal try to boot and the process just starts over. I am able to boot into safe mode with no problems.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
From within safe mode, right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose SETTINGS in the startup and recover section. Uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART on errors and then reboot as normal and you will get a nice, ugly BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH error

Report that error mesasage back.

Mrs_Roboto

Mrs_Roboto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have made the changes you have suggested but the BSOD screen just flashes and then the pc reboots.

I have also ran a hard drive diag which it passes and I have gone into msconfig and disabled all of the startup programs.

Edited by Mrs_Roboto, 13 September 2005 - 07:02 PM.

Mrs_Roboto

Mrs_Roboto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I had to reboot and press F8 and select "Diagnostic Mode" but I finally got the error. (I think)

It asks me to check for mismatched memory and try to change the video adapter

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

*** STOP: 0X0000007F (0X00000008, 0X80042000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Nothing is new or has been changed.

What are your thoughts?

Update:
Ran a memory diagnositc from microsoft (http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp) My memory passed all 6 tests.

Edited by Mrs_Roboto, 13 September 2005 - 10:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Mrs_Roboto...and how is Mr_Roboto (I'm a Styx fan...can you tell?)

What kind of computer is this? Is it a Compaq or HP? Have you installed any new software recently? Are you running a Symantec or Norton corporate version?

Sorry about all the questions, but they'll help us narrow this down a bit.

wannabe1

Mrs_Roboto

Mrs_Roboto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Domo Arigato wannabe1 :tazz:

It is an older home built:

MB: Asus CUSL2
CPU: Intel celeron @ 700Mhz
RAM: 512 meg

I am running Symantec Internet Security 2005 and Symantec Sysemworks 2003 (I can not seem to uninstall them in safemode)

And Mr_Robot is doing just fine :)

Edited by Mrs_Roboto, 13 September 2005 - 10:30 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:tazz:

The 2 Norton programs together is probably a big part of this issue...we need to get rid of one of them. Did you run an update from Norton lately?

Go to the control panel and at least try to remove Norton System Works again in safe mode. If you can't remove it, try SYMCLN.EXE...download it, copy it onto a floppy, and run it on the bad machine. Hopefully it will leave your IS 2005 intact (that's why you want to try the control panel first) Norton has a very messy uninstall so if you have problems, please post back in a new topic like Norton Help or something on that order...I jump on Norton problems!

You may also have to run this REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

Take a look at Rule #1 in my sig...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 September 2005 - 10:59 PM.

Mrs_Roboto

Mrs_Roboto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Once again GTG saves the day.

Special thanks to wannabe1 for walking me through the repairs.

Mrs_Roboto