Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring data from old XP PC to new PC

• Please log in to reply

imichael

imichael

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

Great forum. My old PC with Gb's of photos' on it died last month, I bought a new PC and today an external USB/Firewire drive caddy.

Unfortunately the only part of the disc I can't access is my documents in my user account - could this be because of password protection on Windows XP (all the kids could log in without password, our section was password protected on login).

Any ideas? As there is around 4 years worth of photos on here that I hadn't backed up.

Thanks

Ian

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
xp home or pro?

imichael

imichael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Both Pro

imichael

imichael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply above. I've also tried changing the first boot device to the USB disc, but it fails and resorts to the standard boot up sequence.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When you open Windows Explorer on the new computer, is it recognizing the external drive and its contents? If so:
How to Take Ownership in XP
http://support.micro...1&Product=winxp
If XP is not seeing the external hard drive at all, we need to go the device manager in Control Panel> System> Hardware
and uninstall anything related to the ex drive and reboot, reinstall. Can you give us some specs for the computer and the new device?

Johanna

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
My advice would be to get a Back up program that backs up every thing on your hard drive, this would prevent any probles like this in the future. The two best program out there are Acrons True Image and Norton Ghoast. Also Nothing in the backups are password protected (unless you set a pass word for the whole image) this meas that you could easly get what you what out of the hard drive it you first back it up. I do this all the time for things that can't be moved while running XP.

imichael

imichael

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Thanks for the suggestions - I gained onership of the folder as suggested by Czarina and now have the photos again.

As soon as I'm home this evening all files will be transferred onto the new PC and backed up onto DVD's, plus the exisitng hard disc, lesson learnt, backups will be a regular activity now.

thanks again

Ian

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
That's wonderful! Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it.

Johanna