Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer is on - but does nothing

• Please log in to reply

SandyD

SandyD

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SandyD...

A little more information would be helpful...... :tazz:

wannabe1

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starius

Starius

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
umm sounds like you have a virus does it have any error messages when you try to do something?

SandyD

SandyD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:

SandyD

SandyD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No error message comes up at all. Just will not let me access anything. Like internet, email, will not even let me click on programs.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
SandyD....

What kind of computer do you have? Brand and model number, please.

wannabe1

SandyD

SandyD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wannabe1: My computer is a Dell Dimension # 4550

Also, last night I turned computer on and actually was able to click on Adware
it came up and I started it, but it then froze.

Tried a couple more time and it would not come up at all.

Last night was the first it even started to act like it was doing something.
(for a minute!!!)

Thank you for any help you can provide.

SandyD

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok SandyD...Let's see if we can fix you up.

Try tapping the F8 key during start up (begin tapping right after the beep)...this ,hopefully, will boot your machine into "Safe Mode". Once is safe mode run Systern Restore.

Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click System Restore

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

On the Select a Restore Point page, click a bold date on the calendar to the left...go back to a day or two before this began, and then click "Next". A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click "Ok".
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click "Next". System Restore will restore the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restart the computer.

When the System Restore Restoration Complete page appears...Click "Ok".

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 September 2005 - 06:56 AM.

SandyD

SandyD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wannabe1:

Here is the update on my problem:

Last night I did the system restore per your instructions, and it when through all the steps. At the end I get: Restoration Incomplete - No changes have been made to your computer.

I ran this procedures lots of times and choosing different bold dates. I always get the above message no matter what bold date I select.

I have ran this procedures on ALL BOLD DATES that are listed for me in all the calendar months that are listed.

HELP - Any other steps to take from here.

Thanks. SandyD

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good morning, SandyD...

As you boot into safe mode, at the options screen, try the "Last known good configuration" option. If that doesn't work....

Try this REPAIR to your current installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

Note...this does not always work with oem recovery disks, but you can use a "borrowed" XP cd of the same version...if you are asked for a product key, use the one you received with your machine.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 September 2005 - 07:20 AM.