Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Display Properties Tabs

• Please log in to reply

dragonstar

dragonstar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I'm working on a computer that has its display properties tabs (all of them) missing. When you open it up it only is in "Themes" mode, but there is no tab at the top describing it. This is with an Administrator account, and any other account that has been created, or previously logged in with. This is with Windows XP sp1.

There is also a "Problem" with any video driver that has been loaded in. I have gone through three different video cards, and they all have the "Yellow Exclamation" next to it. I have downloaded all of the latest drivers for each card and the "problem" still comes up.

Both Adaware, and spyware blaster have not found anything.
Norton Antivirus has not detected anything either.
A System Restore from 2 weeks ago does nothing.
I have already tried looking in the group polices. (gpedit.msc) All are not enabled
I have looked in the registry file HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies and there is nothing in there at all.
I have run the display all tabs regedit from

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Strangely enough, if you boot into Safe Mode. The Tabs return and are functional.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to restore the tabs for users?

T

Edited by dragonstar, 13 September 2005 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Since your getting "exclamation marks" in Device Manager and the Display Properties tabs only load appear in safe-mode (where only default device-drivers are used); it has to be problem with the driver you installed.

Dowload Everest Home and check your video-card and use the links given in EVEREST to go to your video-card manufacture's website.