Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Connections Compaq Presario

• Please log in to reply

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Well, this is how Compaq sold it. I am not impressed with their systems at all. When I opened up the case ( because the 2 front usb ports were not working - and I discovered that they were not hooked up!) the green, black and yellow wires were not connected.

If you have purchsed a new Compaq, and the front USB ports were not working so you opened the case to have a look? you may have voided your warranty.

Or was it a second hand system? in which case it is a bit rich to blame Compaq.

Advertisements

christinemitchell

christinemitchell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It was purchased new in 2001 by my nephew who never had a reason to use the front usb ports. He asked me to "fix" his computer when he started having trouble with the operating system. When I used the recovery disk to fix the computer, I noticed that the front usb ports did not work. I opened the case (the warranty had been dead for 4 years) and noticed that they were never connected. Upon connecting, the system will not boot up. Compaq techs told me that the front usb ports were onboard - I can see that that is not the case by looking at the motherboard - the back usb ports are onboard. There is no way that the front ports ever worked. The disconnected LED lights on the front panel were also disconnected and never worked. The sytem had never been opened (as evidenced by the warranty tape) so I am assuming that it came this way from Compaq. I don't feel it is a "bit rich" to blame Compaq for this one. Shoddy work.

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I am sure if Compaq had been advised about the problems within the warranty period they would have fixed the problems, so I still feel it is a bit rich to start winging about it 4 years later, after all people make mistakes and in this case Compaq should have been given the oportunity to fix the issue.

Onboard does not mean the ports are actually attached to the mainboard, there are USB "headers" which you plug the front usb into, these are also referred to as onboard.

Pluggin in the front USB and front panel connectors is not hard, if you take the machine to a reputable repairer they will be able to fix it for you.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
christinemitchell -
if its any help to you, the wiring for the USB header should look like this :

5V (red wire)____o o 5V (red wire)
USB1- (white)___o o USB2- (white)
USB1+ (green)__o o USB2+ (green)
GND (black)____o o GND (black)
GND (black)____o

If the colour of the wires you have for the USB fly lead do not match the ones described above, then don't connect them. You must also make sure that all the wires in the left row are all for the same usb port & likewise for the other row/port.

christinemitchell

christinemitchell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
SAMM,
Appreciate very much your help. The wires do not look like that. There is only one place on the motherboard that matches the connector coming from the front usb ports and if I connect it the computer will not POST. I really don't know what was wrong with the original layout but it doesn't appear to be correct. Even the tech at Compaq told me when I described the wiring to him that it didn't appear to be correct. My nephew (computer owner) can live with the 2 usb ports in the back. I really do appreciate your knowledge and time...now if i could just get a reply to my "seeq.com" malware problem on my own computer I'd be a happy person! Thanks again.