Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Speed

• Please log in to reply

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Alright so I have 4 sticks of 512 memory adding up to 2048 mb its all the same corsair twinX DDR2-800-PC6400 but the motherboard automatically sets the speed of the memory to DDR2-533 when I amnually set it to DDR2-800 every like half an hour my computer freezes or restarts.. is the memory defective or somethin?? I mean if its rated at 800 I should hope it runs at 800 without having to increase the voltage or anything. Any ideas??

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What motherboard do you have? I've come across several boards that when you fill all the ram sockets will either run at a reduced speed or wil be buggy at full speed. This may be an issue that can be resolved by a bios update but first we need to determine if that is the cause of the problem in your case.

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
ASUS P5WD2 there was a bios update I got a long time ago I believe its version 4022 one of the features it added which should have been stock was the DDR2-800 speed but it did not show up, they fixed it, it shows up, but does not work well at that speed I believe you might be right in the fact that filling up the ram slots will require it to slow down I can see that being true, well 667 is in between those two i'll try that out see if its stable or not but I guess I don't haev to haev 800 thanks for your opinion.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The only info I've been able to find that may relevant to you, is apparently some older DD2 modules may suffer from current leakage and as a result, the system will automatically lower the memoryspeed. This is an issue with Intel's On Die Termination technology.

Whether this is the cause of your problems or not, remains to be seen