Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Operating System not found"

• Please log in to reply

grimmcessation

grimmcessation

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First off, I dunno if this is the right board to post this topic... :tazz:

Anyways...

I had ran Norton Internet Security 2004 LiveUpdate on my laptop, and since it was taking a bit to download all the updates, I decided to leave it on over night. The next morning when I turned it on, my laptop keeps making clicking noises ( 19 to be exact ) and instead of the:

WINDOWS ME

Screen pops up, it says "Operating System not found".

So any ideas to what to do? Will I have to reinstal Windows ME? Or is there another way to fix this?

Anyone willing to help? :)

( And if I'm doing something wrong here, tell me. I don't want to feel too stupid. :)

Edited by grimmcessation, 13 September 2005 - 05:54 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You handle may apply to your hard drive, for it sounds like it may have failed, perhaps from excess heat. Clicking noises are common in hard drive failures. If you can download and use a boot floppy you may be able to boot up your system and see if you can access your ddrive. You can also make a boot cd, or use your installation disk to boot up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
grimmcessation...

Give this a shot...You'll need a startup disk for this...if you don't have one, go HERE and download the Windows ME OEM bootdisk...put a floppy in the drive and doubleclick the downloaded file to create your startup disk.

Put the startup disk in the bad machine and reboot...at the options screen, press F5 for the command prompt. You'll get an "A" prompt, type C: and press "Enter"...at the "C" prompt type windows\command\scanreg /fix(Note the space before /) and press "Enter" Type Y to accept the scan and press "Enter". This will run on boot-up so if the machine does not reboot, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart.

If this doesn't do the trick, post back and we'll try another one....

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 September 2005 - 09:57 PM.

grimmcessation

grimmcessation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, heres the deal:

- I created the disk, put it in the computer, but from the

A:\>

prompt, when I try typing C:, it says "Invalid drive specification".

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
grimmcessation...

Ouch!!! Didn't need to hear that! Does the Primary Master drive show up in the BIOS?

wannabe1

leannakcarman

leannakcarman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not sure at all if this is the right place to put this but I could not find anywhere else to post a question so here goes. I have a HP Computer and Modem that are both about five years old. Up until the last year they have both functioned fairly well. Early this summer it began to display problems. I had a computer college student look at it and he thinks the hard drive was trying to go out. He fixed it the best that he could with as little expense that we could afford, which wasn't much. We brought it home, my husband checked his email and everything worked fine. He shut it off and when I went to check mine a couple of hours later, the message "Operating system not found" appeared on the screen. We disconnected it and had him look at it again and he told us that he thought that the hard drive finally went completely. Does this sound right or is there something I can do to fix it without replacing the hard drive. W

leannakcarman

leannakcarman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not sure at all if this is the right place to put this but I could not find anywhere else to post a question so here goes. I have a HP Computer and Modem that are both about five years old. Up until the last year they have both functioned fairly well. Early this summer it began to display problems. I had a computer college student look at it and he thinks the hard drive was trying to go out. He fixed it the best that he could with as little expense that we could afford, which wasn't much. We brought it home, my husband checked his email and everything worked fine. He shut it off and when I went to check mine a couple of hours later, the message "Operating system not found" appeared on the screen. We disconnected it and had him look at it again and he told us that he thought that the hard drive finally went completely. Does this sound right or is there something I can do to fix it without replacing the hard drive. We live on a limited income and don't really have the money to replace the hard drive. Could someone help us out? :tazz: :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
leannakcarman...

That is exactly what is sounds like. The symptoms are classic HDD failure symptoms. To have a drive go out suddenly and without warning is also common.

Sorry.... :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
leannakcarman...

Just a suggestion...watch the sales at office supply stores. I picked up an 80 GB Maxtor drive at Staples the other day for $39.95.

wannabe1

grimmcessation

grimmcessation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Err... where do I look to see the BIOS?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
grimmcessation...

While the machine is booting, press (repeatedly) either the F1 key or the Delete key. Try it with each. (Some manufacturers us the F2 key) During the boot sequence, there should be a line at the bottom of the screen that will tell you what mey to press. "Press key to enter Setup"

wannabe1

grimmcessation

grimmcessation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm... I can't enter setup because theres a password that I have to type in. Problem is, don't know it. There another way to check or bypass the password?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Hmm... I can't enter setup because theres a password that I have to type in. Problem is, don't know it.  There another way to check or bypass the password?

View Post

Uh oh! Take out the little battery that's about the size of a nickel for about five minutes to reset your BIOS to default. Be sure to observe polarity! That will remove the password.

Edited by Tyger, 16 September 2005 - 04:49 PM.