Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe is hogging all my resources

• Please log in to reply

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I am running Windows XP SP2. My computer was in storage over the summer, and I set it all back up when I returned to school. When I initially start my computer, it runs fine, but it's not long until I notice in Task Manager that explorer.exe is beginning to use more and more Mem Usage (it's gotten up to 120,000 K) and all of my CPU. I've ran CleanUp!, Lavasoft Ad-aware SE, Spybot S&D, Norton Anti-virus scans, and have SpywareBlaster enabled on my system, but nothing has seemed to help thus far. Any input would be greatly appreciated in alleviating this problem.

Many Thanks,
emp_zertec

Advertisements

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Your system symptoms are similar to some pesty Malware infections. If this is the case, then you may want to read this about submitting a Malware post in that forum:

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

If you do the cleaning and scanning recommended and if needed, then post your Malware related info in a post here:

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

** many systems have been hit (infected) with Malware during the past few weeks, and yours may be one of them; getting your system cleaned up and scanned would probably help sort it out and get it protected as well... **

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Some files might have got corrupt over when you were not useing it, here is one way to fix it.

Go Start - Run and type chkdsk /r /x, if it askes you to reboot do so. Warning the will take some time to finsh, because it is looking at ever little bit of you hard drive for any errors.

Go Start - run and type sfc /scannow and, if it asks for you installation CD put in in you computer (if will ask for it 100% of the time). This will repair any system files that are corrupt, so again this take a while.

Your system will then be free of errors, if you still have problems follow the links in the other post to find out if you have malware.

emp_zertec

emp_zertec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys, thanks for the push in the right direction. I did the cleaning as suggested for Malware removal and such(CleanUp! took off 2.6 Gb), and it seemed to help for awhile, but explorer.exe started acting up again. It's been kind of on and off, most of the time it starts doing it when i open up two or more folders into viewing windows (like one window is My Docs and another seperate window is opened that is like Program Files) I've noticed that some other users have had similiar problems with explorer.exe, but for the most part my computer is running much smoother. Thanks again for the help cyberCrank and Michael Buckley! :tazz: