Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPN Connection - can't access anything

• Please log in to reply

codecraig

codecraig

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok, I have setup a VPN connecting using the network wizard in windows xp pro. I can connect to my companies network (from home). However, once I am on I can not access any of the machines on the network.

I have no firewalls on my PC, I even disabled the firewall for the VPN connection. So far, according to IT, they can connect with no problem.

Any ideas on where to go from here, what to try next? ...while i wait on IT?

thanks

Advertisements

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
It may be a "Computer Browser" configuration issue or maybe a DNS or WINS configuration issue for NetBIOS over TCP/IP issue related to your VPN connection.

Can you ping any server by its name (if you know one's name), and if not, can you ping it by its IP address manually (assuming you know its assigned IP address). If you can ping by IP addy and not by its name then likely a DNS or WINS issue with your VPN DHCP connections or network settings.

Go to Start > Run. Type ipconfig /all

and check your connection properties when in a VPN connection.

In general, can you not even see them in your "My Nework Connections"?

Or maybe you see them, but cannot connect to them (error or something else)?

If you cannot even see them maybe a Computer Browser issue.

If you know a server name and share name on that server, maybe try manually creating a shortcut link on your desktop and see if it connects like this:

\\Servername\Sharename