Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

TeaRel

TeaRel

• Pip
  • 8 posts
For the past week or so, my computer has been having problems with WMP. The worst part about it is that some pages (Myspace, Ebaumsworld) actually have videos imbedded in them and WMP is the default player for such things. I tried moving those files over to Quicktime but unfortunately some of them are .WMV and won't play in Quick. Everytime WMP starts, the computer freezes up and then completely shuts down and the next thing I know I'm looking at the boot up screen. It's only with WMP because Quick will play every other extension (.mpg .avi) fine. It's driving me insane. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Let me say that Windows Media Player is very hard to fix, but any try to install Windows Media player 10, weather you alreay have it or not. it might just be corrupt files.

You could also try going start run and typeing sfc /scannow which will fix all corrupt Winodows files. This requires you installation CD and takes a while, so if you do it be paitent.

Both togeather should help.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

It's only with WMP because Quick will play every other extension (.mpg .avi) fine.

View Post

If so why would you try any other players, such as BSPlayer or Light Alloy. They can play back all types of video (in the presence of corresponding codecs of course). I believe Light Alloy the best one at all.