Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shutsdown May be Video Adapter

• Please log in to reply

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I need to find out how to update my video adapter cuz i already updated my display driver and my computer still shutsdown and one of the reports i sent to microsoft said it may be the video adapter.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. What kind of video card? Nvidia? ATI? Here is something you can try. Try cleaning the previous driver installation and starting fresh. First, go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and get Driver Cleaner (it is free). Make sure you have the current driver for your video card. You can download it from the manufacturer's web page. Now go to add/remove programs and remove the current video driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current driver.

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
well i believe the video card is nvidia but i dont know any specifics like what kind or what version or anything and I dont know how to check. Since I dont know, I cant download the current driver from their web page because I need to know which one I have. Once Im sure I have the correct current driver downloaded then I will try that driver cleaner.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You can run Belarc Advisor and it will tell you all about your system. It is free. Go here to get it http://www.belarc.com/index.html
You should be able to tell what video card you have from that.

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
well i got the belarc advisor but i didnt see anything on there that seemed to be the video card. I read the whole thing but didnt see anything. Was it not there or did i just overlook it?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Well basically all of the nvidia drivers work for all nvidia video cards. All of the "official" drivers will work with all nvidia cards. If you goto nvidia's site and download the driver you will notice there is only one, it works for all geforce series. The others are for workstation and then really old cards.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
When I run Belarc, it tells me about "display" in the right column item number seven reading from top to bottom. It tells me about my video card and monitor:
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 [Display adapter]
Sony CPD-E540 [Monitor] (19.7"vis, December 2001)

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well it says default monitor, and it says Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller [Display adapter]. Does this mean I dont have that Nvidia one? I assumed I did since under the add/remove programs i saw NVIDIA GART Driver. So which should I get the backup too in order to use the driver cleaner? I just want to fix this problem already because my computer shutsdown at least once per use and I usually says its caused by the display device driver and then one time talked about how the video adapter may have been the problem. Something about its in an infinite loop or something. I forgot but I would really like to solve this problem so hopefully I can use my computer without being paranoid.

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i suppose this should be ur grafic card driver.

http://downloadfinde...ID=865&lang=eng

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
like i stated before, i had already gone there and updated my graphics driver phua zheng hao. im talking about the video adapter. OH and one more thing, when my computer goes on stand by or hibernate and then i get it back off from stand by or hibernate, everything is suddenly larger and i have to go under properties and change the screen resolution back to 800 by 600.