Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Administrative Problems

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Windows XP for my home computer and I have administartive rights to it at home. I created a separate profile for my daughter so that she could download her childrens games and play them without having to worry about her accidently doing anything to my settings when logged on as me. When I log on as her and put the CD in the D drive to begin installation I am prompted that I may need administrative rights to do so. In the drop down menu is Administrator and User. If I use administartor and enter the passoword I have and use to enter under my settings when I log in it says that the passowrd is incorrect. When I try to install under the user setting (in the drop down menu) it runs for a bit and just stops without installing. Any help would be appreciated.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ghandi88...

Here's the work around I use on my machine. My kids have limited accounts and I have the Admin account. When something is to be installed on the machine it has to go through me. I install it in my account (as Admin. it is installed system wide), I then go to the account where the game is to reside, navigate to the program in the program files folder, and place (send to desktop) a shortcut on the desktop in that account. Then I delete the shortcut off my account's desktop. They're happy and I have control over what goes on the machine. The only password involved is the one to sign in to my account.