Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP pro freezeup

• Please log in to reply

AWSOME195

AWSOME195

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, my friend got the Nail.exe virus so I instructed him to download and install AVG free edition and run it to see if that would fix it. He ran it and found the Nail.exe and also found a sr... .exe(I think a system file) file infected. He deleted the Nail.exe and tried to heal the sr... .exe. When it didn't heal he deleted it. Now when he boots Windows XP Pro it prety much freezes after the login, except for the use of the task manager which allows me to execute most programs.

I tried to boot in safe mode, last known configuration and system restore option, it had the same problem every time and the system restore option froze. I also tried to boot from windows xp cd and choose the repair option but his computer would not boot from the windows xp cd for some reason. I will download that recovery console iso to my computer and try to run it on his. Also, I do not think that the Nail.exe virus was completely destroyed.

Is there a way to fix this?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Can I have a bit more info about the file that you deleted, its name would help. You said that you can start programs from task manager, can you try this, in the Applications tab press new task and type cmd.exe, the command prompt will then open and type sfc /scannow this will ask for you installation CD so put that in you computer.

If you still think you have malware read http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html
and go to http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

And do not stick your question in someone eles post it dose not help, just start one like you did this time. I did find the identical post of yours.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 14 September 2005 - 01:19 AM.