Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have said this before, computer by voice,

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I believe that we are on the threshold of a screenless/keyboardless/mouseless system where one just talks to the computer and it talks back. I see that the actual
voice commands are already in use, ie for CD player in cars "disk 3, track 5, play", I remember that voice recognition for typing letter was common enough at one time, "Dear Mr. Smith, I am writing this letter in order to....."; moreover, blind users receive voice replies, and Microsoft already has quite as good system that I used for people with poor site that spoke out the place or icon that was highlighted. "Explorer express, inbox, mail, dad's letter, "Dear son, happy to have had your mail today...".
Anyway, my point is see that this present day system is a bain to the mainstream, power consuming, space taking, and slow by comparison, I would like to float this alternative idea as I have done now. Last point, one would still be able to attatch the mouse, keyboard, and screen when needed for such this as visuan reconfirmation of mails, photos and the like. It is a software, development idea, the resulting small box would be smaller than a laptop I think.

Idea given, maybe not clear enough, what are the drawbacks and pitfalls please also feel free to add on to the idea please.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
That will never happen the way you said it. The sence of sound is too abstract for computer use. Any way how would a computer know what to do unless ther was some kind of code you had to speak.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry, that I could not come back sooner, I believe that one voice-trains for dictation when voice typing, I believe that one voice-trains for voice commanding the CD player in the car. why then, I believe that it is only a short step until can disconnect the computer from the screen/mouse/keyboard situation once the computer reaches the level where it can understand your voice commands. What other reasons then do you feel that is not going happens? btw, how many voice command do you think would be needed, or how few then? Last question, do you think that if my first idea is impossible, would it be possible to run the computer from a telephone keypad?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
It's not gonna happen. It can happen now that you can get rid of the keyboard and mouse, but not the monitor.

Imagine a computer voice, trying to describe a web page. Even if it was possible, it wouldnt give the same feeling or experience that seeing it on a monitor would do.

ScHwErV :tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Agreed with the last comment but that could be done by connecting a monitor by USB when need be for example, like already how DSL system works with USB pendrives, they run when connected. All I am saying is that one could add the keyboard or the mouse or the moniter when need be but not need them when on the move or in the kitchen, bath, etc., imagine being able to talk to your comp then. "Comp, what is my plan for today, who's birthday is it, and let's talk about bills." In fact, it could say "Hey I am running out of gas", or "I have just receive some mail, would you like to see them, or shall I read them to you" "Where are you now, oh in the bath, ok I will keep them till later." I agree that I am probably wrong but the more you talk me out of this idea the less I look up at the sealing from my bed unable to sleep. Yours insomuestly, fleamailman

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Alot of the stuff you are talking about has allready been done, there are more than a few high tech prototype houses, with enough computer power to rival a small country in them and they can analyse your speech patterns and sppech to give you a response to commands, obviously they have to be from a big list, most are obvious= play, lock the doors, lights, tv on; but you can get some like read me my mail or dictate and send mail.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Myself, i would rather type than talk, who wants to talk to their computer? if you spend all day in front of one you would lose your voice, all the processing and memory it would take to process and interpret voice commands, could be used for something much more useful.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks, I will sleep better now. I am done.