Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DRWTSN.EXE

• Please log in to reply

BAHKJS84

BAHKJS84

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All, I'll try to make this as short and brief as possible:

Yesterday I try to sign on to the internet and after getting my connection, computer nearly locks up and runs very very sluggish. I also notice at this time that my Mcafee Virus Activeshield automatically disables. So I close my internet and reboot my computer. Then, I run viruscan, spysweeper, and clear my temp internet files, hoping to fix the problem. No viruses or spyware detected. I attempt to sign online again and get the exact same problem.

So I call Dell Customer Support (which turned out to be very little help). After trying some different things and describing the problems they come to the conclusion that I have a virus or spyware. Being as I've only had my computer for not even a month, they suggest I do an entire PC Restore (ctrl+f11) during the bootup process. So I do this and wipe out my entire computer and start over just as when I took it out of the box. So after computer is ready to go again, I sign on to the internet with no problem, and first thing I do is begin to update all my Mcafee and Webroot SpySweeper (hoping to prevent the problem from happening again). So I think then that I have the problem fixed and I didnt use the internet for the rest of the night.

Today, I get on the internet for approx 20 minutes and the same thing happens again. So I call Dell again and tell the whole story to them AGAIN, and they suggest they send me a restore disk to try and fix the problem. They also suggest, if I dont mind, to do the entire PC restore again. So I do the whole thing again, and update all Mcafee and Spysweeper again, and a little later I get the same thing. This time I disconnect my cable modem, and after some time of sitting, the sluggishness goes away and I can access some things on my computer (no internet). I press ctrl+alt+del and view my processes. To my suprise I find that I have 343 processes running, and they all are DRWTSN.EXE, except for maybe 45-50 of them. So I call Dell again and they say again that I must have a virus or soemthing and they will send me this PC RESTORE disk and call them when I get it in the mail.

At this time I am not satisfied with Dell's response, so I call Best Buy and speek with the "Geek Squad". They suggest that I do the PC Restore again (ctrl+f11) and before updating my Mcafee and Spysweeper, that I download all Critical/Security Windows XP updates first. So, I again PC Restore the computer, then get online and dowlonad all windows updates. After that I downlaod all Mcafee and Spysweeper updates. I restarted my computer to install the last Mcafee update and when it reboots I have the same thing again, slow and terribly sluggish. So, I push ctrl+alt+del to check processes, and this time I have 1201 (that's right twelve hundred and one) processes running. And they all are DRWTSN.EXE, except for 45-50 of them. So I disconnect from the internet again, and end all DRWTSN.EXE processes. After doing this my comptuer operates fine, but not connected to the internet. I also downlaoded Microsoft Anti-Spyware and it found nothing on my computer. Mcafee finds no viruses and spysweeper finds no spyware or adware.

Please please please does anyone know how to fix this or what it is??!?!??!? I can't figure out anyway to fix it and my computer is not even a month old. I havent downloaded anything, and I always run my virus protection and firewall. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm to my wits end witht his stuff. It's making me pull my hair out.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi BAHKJS84,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony.

Just so that we can totally rule out malware Please Click here and follow the instructions carefully.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
if drwatson originates from the system32 folder, then it is a program that comes with xp sp2 that diagnoses program crashes. it is a debugger and even one instance will use 100% cpu on an average system. I always like to disable dr watson by following this microsoft knowledge base article:

disable dr watson

however you may want to follow Tony's link first so that we can see if all the instances are running from system32 or somewhere else.

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
also if posible try to install all your protective software before connecting to the web.This is not alwaysv possible but the more protection you have before connecting the safer you will be.