Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office Start Up - Safe Mode?

• Please log in to reply

sokolich

sokolich

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi:
Hope someone can help! I run WIndows 2000 Professional and utilize Office 2003. I had some viruses which were cleaned, but now anytime I launch an Office program, Excel, Word, Outlook I get a message that states (for each program):

"Excel failed to start correctly last time. Starting Excel in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the porgram. Some functionality may be disabled in safe mode.

Do you want to start Excel in safe mode?"

I have uninstalled Office, reinstalled it and done a repair and it keeps coming back.

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks!
Scott Sokolich :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you uninstall Office, run disc clean up then look for Office installation files, remove those then re-install

Select complete install for Office if you have the room

sokolich

sokolich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If you uninstall Office, run disc clean up then look for Office installation files, remove those then re-install

Select complete install for Office if you have the room

View Post

Keith:
Thanks! I will give it a try and report back.

Thanks!
Scott

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You may want to run disc defragmenter after removing Office and the installation files, then click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes reboot.

This would mean that XP is all there when you install Office.

sokolich

sokolich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You may want to run disc defragmenter after removing Office and the installation files, then click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes reboot.

This would mean that XP is all there when you install Office.

View Post

Keith:
I hadn't gotten your last post, but I did an uninstall then ran disk clean up and it is still doing the same thing. Should I try the scan and replace system files as stated in your last post?

Scott

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the system file check then try Office

sokolich

sokolich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Run the system file check then try Office

View Post

Keith:
Still coming up with the error. I am running Windows 2000. Does that make a difference? Also, When I ran file check, I did not get a prompt to put the Office CD in.

Scott

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not to sfc /scannow which would ask for 2000 CD

Did you uninstall Office and the installation files from disc clean up

sokolich

sokolich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Not to sfc /scannow which would ask for 2000 CD

Did you uninstall Office and the installation files from disc clean up

View Post

Keith:
I uninstalled Office through control panel and deleted all the references to installation of office through disc clean up.

Should I uninstall again?

Scott :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Logically no, I get this ocassionally and always choose no, start the programme and it runs properly.

I would contact Microsoft now, because you have removed Office and the installation files, which is their method of dealing with incorrect / incomplete installs, so they should check whether the Office CD's are OK.

You have also run sfc for the operating system, so it cannot be that either.

Start an Office programme, if it gives the start in safe mode, say no, run the programme, and any others you want, then when you have finshed, reboot the PC and see what it does, if it still says about safe mode, call Microsoft