Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with internet

• Please log in to reply

milligan

milligan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have cable internet on my other computer. I log into the internet and it says im connected but i cant get to any websites with mozilla firefox or internet explorer. More importantly i cant get on my online games! Its a horrible experience. Ive tried changing to a usb connection and both ethernet and usb do the same thing. What could be the problem?

Edited by milligan, 14 September 2005 - 11:59 AM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go.

If you installed a firewall recently, it could be set up wrong. Otherwise it is most likely malware problems. If you don't have a firewall, read this and follow all the directions. If after doing all the cleaning found there, start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum to make sure you are clean. Post a reply here if you still have problems after cleaning or you do have a firewall.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 September 2005 - 12:05 PM.

milligan

milligan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All of the fixes available on that page require a internet connection. Loss of connection is the problem im having. How ironic. This is a nightmare. It says im connected but i cant surf the web or play any of my online games

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Right click on the network connection icon in the Notification Area (bottom right of screen) and choose "repair connection".

Johanna

milligan

milligan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
that doesnt work it just says. The following steps of the repair opperation failed:
Renewing the IP address.
Flushing the ARP cache.
Purging and reloading the remote cache name table NetBT
Sending name release packets to WINS and then starting refresh

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download WinsockXPFix.exe to a PC, save it on floppy or CDR and run it

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

At top in preparation

milligan

milligan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i did another destructive recovery and i can connect now. But i disconnect every few minutes and have to reset my wireless modem. I did the win fix thing and it didnt do anything.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Just out of curiosity, let's boot into "Safe Mode With Networking" and see if you internet connection works.

To do this, tap F8 while your computer is booting up and select "Safe Mode With Networking."

milligan

milligan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I downloaded microsoft anti spyware. Did a scan and i have no spyware on my computer. I am in safe mode right now and yes i can connect to the internet.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If that is so, then you most likely have malware that is cutting you off of your internet connection. Boot into Safe Mode and do everything found here. If you still have problems after doing the cleaners, they tell you what to do in step 5. If it turns out not to be malware or you still have difficulty doing the cleaning processes, then post back here.