Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having problems with my CD-RW Drive

• Please log in to reply

Graffix

Graffix

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I'm having problems with my CD-RW drive. The thing is, for some strange reason, it only wants to read ONE CD. Whenever I try putting any other CD in it and then begin opening my computer to run it, the window hangs and then stops responding. The thing that I don't get is, I recently reformatted my computer, and I was able to back up all my files via CD-Rs and my CD-RW drive burned them flawlessly. But for some reason I can't get it to run any CD I burned, or any CD period, this is before AND after reformatting. Well like I mentioned it runs ONE disc perfectly, my Diablo 2 disc. For some strange reason it reads it at light speed. Anyone have any idea whats causing this? Could it be the drive itself is just worn out or what? By the way, it's a Mitsumi CR-487ETE, and I recently tried updating the firmware but it still doesn't work. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm running on Windows XP Pro fyi. If I need to post any more specs let me know, though I doubt it's necessary, since I'm guessing it's a problem with the hardware itself rather than my software considering I just reformatted and it's STILL not running properly.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
My guess is it's a Windows problem -- it's not refreshing it's information for what is actually in the drive when you change the disc. used to happen to me. I would put another CD in but Explorer still showed the name of the previous disc so it couldn't read the new one. Put the 'Diablo 2' CD in. Now do 'software eject' by right-clicking the CD drive letter and choosing 'Eject' instead of using the eject button. Now put another CD in and see if Windows will read it. Worked for me, as long as you remember to software-eject in future. It's a bug in Windows 98 and I don't think they fixed it cos it's was a random thing -- some users never had the problem.

Graffix

Graffix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply, I just tried it and it still freezes up. Dunno what else there is I could possibly do short of buying a new drive and hoping it works. Any other tips/ideas/suggestions?

kamkart

kamkart

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same problem and I too just defragged. I purchased an upgrade CD and have been trying to install it all day. Nothing will read from CD drive. I've tried SEVERAL tips and tweaks from this forum....any additional advice?

BTW - this site ROCKS!

Graffix

Graffix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I didn't just defrag, I reformatted (wiped the hd clean and did a fresh install of windows). I don't think it has anything to do with software on our computers but the hardware itself. Mine is around 4-5 years old, so I figure I need a new one. But the thing that confuses me is when I wanna BURN a cd it works beautifully, but when I want to USE that cd it just prevents the my computer window from responding and I usually end up either A) rebooting or B) luckily remove the disc. Usually A. Well anyway, if anyone out there has a general idea as to what could be causing this please let us know! :tazz: