Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop Error: Problem Booting Computer

• Please log in to reply

nstinson

nstinson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all, I am using an HP Pavilion a305w. All has been working fine, and I haven't installed any new hardware anytime recently.

It stormed last night and the power went off. Nothing in or on the house was struck, but now the computer has strange problems.

I can turn it on, and it loads, untill the Windows 2000 loading screen gets approximately halfway through, then it gives me a blue screen and says:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x81817350, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Then it gives the usual spiel about what you can possibly do, but I know of no way to get to a dos command prompt to run CHKDSK to check for errors.

What can I do?

Is there even any way I can recover things from my hard drive?

Thanks,
-Nathan

Edited by nstinson, 14 September 2005 - 02:03 PM.

Advertisements

nstinson

nstinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is there any possible way that I can recover data from the Hard Drive before trying to wipe it clean and reinstall windows or anything like that?

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Do you have access to a friends pc with a cd writer? If so download slax http://slax.linux-live.org/ and boot it in your cd drive when your computer boots. You might need to enter your BIOS to do this. When you have done this and slax has loaded you will be able to access your hard drive and copy data to floppy disks, memory sticks etc.

nstinson

nstinson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a cd writer on this compiuter right here. How would I go about creating a boot disk and making it work and using that program?

also, is there a way for that to export through the network I have the computer hooked up to?

one more thing, I got my windows 2000 cd out and booted from it, and tried the repair of a windows installation and it got me to a command prompt, and now I am doing a CHKDSK /R, will that help things any? or do close to the same thing? Are there any other options since I have access to a command prompt and have the installation cd?

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yeh but you need a copy of windows to write to the disk and that isn't an optiton since your pc doesn't work at the moment. When you have found a computer with a working windows 2000 onwards and a cd writer then install this http://myslax.bonson...t_from=&ucat=4
make sure you have first download the slax iso from the first site I gave you. Then install the program I just gave you the link for and that will burn a cd for you using the iso file.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow the steps below:
  • In ur BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
  • Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
  • After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
  • On the next screen you will be asked to choose your Windows installtion, choose the one that is causing the problem by typing the number beside it.
  • Now you will be prompted for Adminstrator account's password. Press <Enter> if the password was blank.
  • Type: chkdsk /r. Press <enter>
  • Reboot normally and check whether Windows boots; if not, continue with the rest of the steps.
  • Type the following commands, and press enter after each one:
    • Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
      (where C: is the partition where XP was installed)
    • DEL C:\Boot.ini
    • BootCfg /Rebuild
    • Fixboot
  • Reboot ur PC

I would also suggest you download UltimateBootCD and run the HDD Diagonstic tools on it.

Edited by darth_ash, 15 September 2005 - 02:35 AM.