Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Access Start Menu

• Please log in to reply

tabhab1

tabhab1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was having problems with spyguard on my system. So I followed an instruction to rename the wininet.dll file to wininet.bad. Then it asked me to reboot in safe mode, which I did, and remove the file. So I did that. Then it told me to go into the system32\dllcache folder, pick the clean version of that file(wininet.dll) copy and paste in the system32 folder. Well the problem that I am having is since I deleted the wininet.dll file, I can not log in or access my tools under my computer to open the cache file. So I can't replace the file, so I really can't do anything. I can log in under safe mode. However it wont show a start up menu or allow me to go into the tools menu. About the only thing that I can do is a control-alt-delete to bring up the task bar menu. Is there anyway to get to the my computer\tools\ menu, so that I can view my protected file folders, which will allow me to copy and paste the needed dll file into the system32 folder? I would really appreciate all the help I can get with this and I promise to have more respect for all files after this mess. I wont need a hair cut for awhile as I have pulled most of it out by now. thanks again to all!!!

TB

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

tabhab1

tabhab1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How can I run the program if I can't access the internet or start up menu? I have copied it to a disk, is there a way that I can run the disk from safe mode? Thanks for the info.